North To Alaska

philny1

My adventure has begun, my gear is in Aniak AK. I shipped three boxes from western NY on monday the 13th, they made Aniak in two days . There on the 15th. Postal system how great it is, when it works.
Best $169.00 I've ever spent, now I don't have to sweat the airlines misplacing my rifle and gear as they have in the past.
Called up there yesyerday and spoke with the lady at the post office, had to confirm they were there. "These three big boxes are sure taking up alot of room in my little post office, hope some body picks them up soon." I assured her that I was that somebody and would see her Mon afternoon. "Its 60* up here", she told me. Heat wave, probably all the Eskimos are on the verge of melting.
Leaving Sunday noon for Anchorage via Pheoniz AZ arriving there around midnight. Layover in Anc. til noon Mon when I get my flight to Aniak. I'll probably spend most of that 12 hrs hanging around the brown bear mount in the terminal (trying not to drool). Anyone who has ever been to the Anc airport will know what I'm talking about. There is a full mount of a monster of a bear on display there.
This is my third time up for brown bear. If I don't score on this trip guess I'll give up. Go chase something else around for awhile!!

Good luck on your hunt.

Please post a detailed story including all the detail, pics of melted eskimos, etc.;)

Most of experiences would be a decent story if told properly in spite of the bearless, deerless, elkless, a all of the other lesses possible.:rolleyes:

Hope you have a great time.

I have seen that bear mount a couple times, nice.

Good luck and bring back a story either way.

I spent 2 hrs next to that mount 2yrs ago, I had a awesome 21/2 wks in alaska! But don't feel bad I came home bearless, caribou-less, not to mention blackbear-less, wolf too! I passed on caribou and a 350yd-ish moving wolf with my 375h&h . Found bigger caribou sheds on the ground than ones walking around. My trophy was moose shed I found and carried all day on my pack only to ship home. My guide and I estimate the full rack to be in the 69 to 74 '' range, makes a nice token of the trip. Already have 1/2 the funds saved for the next trip back to possibly score on that brown bear!

Disaster

My adventure has begun, my gear is in Aniak AK. I shipped three boxes from western NY on monday the 13th, they made Aniak in two days . There on the 15th. Postal system how great it is, when it works.
Best $169.00 I've ever spent, now I don't have to sweat the airlines misplacing my rifle and gear as they have in the past.
Called up there yesyerday and spoke with the lady at the post office, had to confirm they were there. "These three big boxes are sure taking up alot of room in my little post office, hope some body picks them up soon." I assured her that I was that somebody and would see her Mon afternoon. "Its 60* up here", she told me. Heat wave, probably all the Eskimos are on the verge of melting.
Leaving Sunday noon for Anchorage via Pheoniz AZ arriving there around midnight. Layover in Anc. til noon Mon when I get my flight to Aniak. I'll probably spend most of that 12 hrs hanging around the brown bear mount in the terminal (trying not to drool). Anyone who has ever been to the Anc airport will know what I'm talking about. There is a full mount of a monster of a bear on display there.
This is my third time up for brown bear. If I don't score on this trip guess I'll give up. Go chase something else around for awhile!!

The Untinkable happened. Arrived in Aniak as scheduled, no one there to meet me, no messages, no idea what happened. There was no lodging in Aniak, no public transportation not a great deal of sympathy offered for my plight. Was able to call home, my wife e-mailed and called trying to contact my outfitter without success. Actually to date no one has contacted us.
Luckily a group of guys from TX, up there on a fishing trip showed. They had a charter and offered me a ride out.
Still trying to sort it out. If there was any legit reason for not showing up, equipement failure, accident, what ever, ya would think by now someone would realize there was a screw up and make an effort to contact me. I got home about 1:00 AM today totally ragged out after sixty plus hours of flying and hanging around airports.
Read about this but never though it happen to me.
For the record Wade Renfro's Alaska Adventures was my outfitter.

Sorry the weather was bad, the pilot and guide couldn't get there until yesterday the day Phil was scheduled to go out. The pilot called a b&b in Aniak to try and pick him up, but Phil had left.

Jacquee

This e-mail came this morning, they finally acknowledged our e-mail that was sent on Mon by my wife while i stood there outside in Aniak waiting for someone to pick me up. Bone dry weather, I didn't have a problem getting there. Plus I know planes were flying to Bethel, where they are located.
My gear is still at the Aniak PO. Will find out this AM from my postmaster if it can be forwarded home or I have to pay the postage a second time.

Second e-mail received since my return. Can you beleive this.

Phil,

I spoke to Wade last night about the situation. The guide has been sitting at the camp since the 21st the day you were to go out to camp. Wade wanted to let you know you hunt is still on if you want to come back. If not he expects payment for the guide. This is the third time trying to accommodate, Wade has gone above and beyond. There are B&B's in Aniak and the pilot did call for you to be picked up, but you chose to leave.

Please let us know ASAP if you are coming, if not we'll pull the guide.

Thanks,
Jacquee Renfro

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.