North eastern Utah landscape for elk?

b money

In the next few years I'm planning on going elk hunting in north eastern Utah, somewhere around the Vernal area. I have friends that are about to move out there and said come on out for a hunt. I'm just curious as to what kind of terrain landscape and conditions would be like. What sort of preparing would I have to do. And what kind of shots I might be able to take. I don't want to prepare for a 400-500yard shot when it's to thick and I may only get a 50yard shot. I have no idea as to the possibilities. As far as guns I will be taking a 338win mag and a 308win right now the 338win mag is a stock rem 700bdl with a Leopold 2-7 on it. The 308 is a rem 700PSS heavy barrel and a HS stock with a cheap bsa 8-32 tactical scope on it. I do plan on replacing the scope with a vortex or nightforce befor the trip. My dad would go along to and his main gun would be a 30-06 rem 700 bdl with a equally cheap bsa 6-18 with no plans to change scopes. And as a back up will probably end up taking a marlin 336 30-30 with open sights and a unknown 3-9 scope. That's about as prepared as I am right now for this hunt. So I'm wondering what I can do to be more prepared as time goes on. Thanks!

I am from Utah. You are worrying way to much. Pick a good rifle, shoot it A LOT & just go hunting. Shots will be 50 to 500 yards. I have lived in Idaho for 14 years & the hunting here is good but I really miss a few spots in Utah.
Good luck.
Thanks, Kirk

Too many choices! I'd cut it down to either the .308 or .338, sell every thing else to buy a scope with more magnification range for the keeper.

I've got a VX-6 2-12, that continues to impress me, but others are available.

Then it's putting in the time, shooting it.

My recommendation is pick your favorite rifle and go enjoy the hunt. Shot opportunity there is extremely low and the hunt needs to be for the fun of getting out. Don't worry too much about guns an optics. Go for a camping trip in some beautiful country..if you get and elk it's a bonus! Really sad elk herd and tons of people!!

I wouldnt worry much about the gun as long as you can hit what you shoot at. Physical conditioning is what you should be after. You can be anywhere from the flats to deep dark canyons hunting elk and if you get one, you will know what I mean by conditioning. I am from Utah.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.