Norma SAUM brass

Ballistic64

I noticed Norma brass is available for the 300 saum.Is this an indication this round is gaining favor overseas?
I wouldve thought they'd manufacture the full size RUM before they ever did the short action brass.

The price is right too! RP brass has gone from $33 per 100 to the best price I can find now of about $45 per 100. I would definately pay another $10 to get Norma brass. I am not pushing pressures on my rifles with any of the loads so softness or primer loosening is not a consideration. Hmmmmmm . . . .

If either of you guys order some of this brass can you post up the neck thickness and the measurement of the case base (web)?
I bought 500 pcs of RP when Midway had it on sale a while back,so I'm not ready to order anymore soon.But I am curious about these dimensions on the Norma brass.

I just got mine in. I do not have my calipers, etc. with me, but when I get back to the shop, I will measure and compare with the RP stuff. I do think the brass weighs less. The finish is some of the best polished brass I have seen from the factory in a long time. It makes the Nosler brass (which is very pretty) look tarnished! The case mouths and primer pockets all appear to be perfect. I got 1k of the 175 SMKs to load up in the new brass, so once I get a couple loaded up I'll let you know. I guess I will drop the charges and shoot a mini-ladder with three or four shots of each charge just to make sure of the load with the new Norma brass.

On a second note, if any of you shortmag shooters out there are looking for ammo boxes to carry your rounds in, look no further than the Frankford Arsenal (SP?) from MidwayUSA.com. They are some of the finest transparent plastic ammo boxes I have had the pleasure of owning. They are made for the shortmags no made to accept shortmags. They have some weight to plastic; in other words, they are beefed up a little more than standard ammo boxes.

On the average, the Norma brass is 20 grs heavier than the RP brass. I have not had the time to play with case capacity yet, but I'm sure its a bit less than the RP.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.