Norma MRP or 204 for 6.5 PRC loads?

Tulsa Reiner

I just received some Norma MRP and 204 powder from Midway USA, and wonder what charge weights anyone has discovered as starting points and high pressure points for 6.5 PRC cartridges? The Norma reloading data, available online, doesn't include this cartridge yet. Nor does Hornady's most recent reloading manual (10th Edition).

Norma hasn't released much in terms of data in a while now. Even their 217 powder, which is likely the most optimal powder for 264win and heavy bullets, doesn't have much data out there for reloaders to utilize, and nothing for 264win with 217. I have contacted them via email several times requesting guidance with a couple of the Wildcats I have and advise on calibers that they have not published yet. I have only received answers along the lines of, 'we haven't tested that combination' or very similar. SMH, whatever.
If I were you working with those powders and that cartridge I'd look at what they have published that is similar in case volume and bullet weight. For example, when I was starting out with 217 and 6.5/06 I used their published 6.5/284 data with MRP as a starting place. 217 is quite a bit slower than MRP, so I just wanted to get a baseline so as to not wear my rifle on my face. I loaded the minimum charge weight of MRP in 217 and shot it over my magnetospeed. Recorded the data and re-checked how that related and worked up a load development from there.

TR Nelson: Thanks for your response, and advice.
After posting my question this am, I discovered that in the Hornady ballistics app, one can purchase new cartridge data (such as 6.5 PRC), that will be coming out in the 11th edition of their reloading manual. I paid the $9.99 for the data, and NORMA MRP is included in their testing. So, I have a starting place.

Could you share their starting l I ad
Since my post in April, I have worked up my loads of MRP for my 6.5 PRC (20" barrel, 1:7.5" twist), and settled on 52.6 grains for Hornady 143 gr ELD-X, with Federal 215 primers. The 210 primers seem to work equally well, in case you don't have 215's.
It gave me a SD of 4.2 and ES of 9 (5 rounds). MV is a modest 2839 FPS, yielding 0.75 MOA at 400 yds.

Gator 06:
Now, to more directly answer your question, their online manual recommends 49.9gr to 55.8 gr of MRP for the ELD-X 143 grain bullet. For H4831, they recommend 48.6 gr to 53.5 gr for the same bullet.
Does this help?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.