Norma MRP Powder

victor

Hi Guys,

Does anybody know if you can currently buy Norma MRP powder in the states.

And if so, where can it be purchased.

If it's not available now, does anybody know if it will be available in the future.

Thanks,
Victor

Right now it is not available that I know of. However, Black Hills is the new distributor and it is supposed to be on the way. you might contact them and see when it is going to be available.

Great powder for the 300 WSM, use same data as most books use for RL22. Very little if any lot to lot variance.

BH

Here's a copy of an interesting letter from Alliant...

D8121_Hercules_Letter_on_RL_powder_2.jpg

FWIW...

Dan

Dan,

Hmmmmmm, I was lead to believe that RL-22 was the same as MRP but with much, much less quality control applied.

Years ago N205 was very consistent from lot to lot. I would suppose that MRP is very consistent from lot to lot, though I have never got my hands on any.

RL-22 is about as consistent from lot to lot as, well I don't know what, but it's not consistent at all, in my experience.

Roy,

I agree that RL22 has had some lots that were off rate in recent years.

I don't believe that RL22 is an "improved version" of MRP. It's likely just re-labeled MRP--and the rest is just marketing rhetoric. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

That letter dates back to the 1980's, of course. I don't know what may have changed since then. But apparently, RL22 and MRP are very similar, if not the same, animals...

Dan

A local gunshop here in Utah has had 202 and MRP on it's shelves for the last 5 or 6 years. It is in a metal tin can painted red and is shaped similiarly to the old IMR cans.

Been eyeballing the MRP for use in my 6.5-.284 for awhile but haven't tried it yet. Supposed to be more consistent from lot to lot than RL22 from what I've been told.

If you would like to get a hold of the gunshop, the number is 801-226-7080.

When all of you say consistent problems with reloader 22 what are you talking about groups - speed or ???

1) Lot to lot variations.
Example: xx.x gr RL-22 Lot A = 2800 FPS
xx.x gr RL-22 Lot B = 2930 FPS (338 Win)

2) Temperature sensitivity:

Summer time velocity (Temp = 75 degrees) = 3200 fps Temp drops to the 30s velocity drops by 130 fps (270 wom)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the responses.
I have talked to a Norma rep. several years ago and he said basically what all you guys are saying. MRP and REL22 are virtually the same powder except the MRP is held to much tighter quality control standards.

I have tried both powders and I get better accuracy with the MRP. That's my bottom line and that's why I'll purchase the MRP over REL22, "If it becomes available again". I'll have to keep my eye on Black Hills I guess.

Regards,
Vic

Victor,

I receive quarterly flyers from Black Hills "Shooters Supply" a wholesaler in S. Dakota. They say they will have MRP coming either this spring or summer. I called last week and they don't have an arrival date as of yet.

Big Al

About 3 yrs ago a really "hot" lot of RL22 got released. I loaded it for a big match without checking it. I was blowing primers and breaking trigger sears. went through three triggers in two days. Needless to say, I did not win.

Once I got home and checked the lot I had to come down 4.0 grains from previous lot. Last time I used RL22.

Watch lot to lot variance.

BH

Grafs & Sons of Mexico, MO also sells Norma powders. I just checked their website, and to my amazement, they had both MRP and 204 in stock (not in all weights, but in the 1lb containers).

"Improved" does not necessarily mean better in industry terms. Industry whores out these terms to relate to a products availability, production standards, cost etc. Quality control and lot to lot variation ( the part reloaders are generally more concerned with) may or may not be a part of the equation.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.