Noob

hugetacticles

Hey guys,

I am kind of kicking the tires on getting into long range shooting. I am just trying to do my research so that when the funds are available I can make an informed decision. I won't have 10k to put into multiple guns so I'm looking at starting out with a decent hunting rifle that I can get proficient with out to 500 yards. My thoughts are I will start with that and as more funds become available i will tune it and get custom work done on it. I am looking for an all around rifle, not looking just for range shooting. I would like something that can handle deer and elk. I don't hunt either one a ton but I want the option.

I am really interested in the 300 win mag and the 7mm rm. I would probably be looking at putting a brake on it. I know i wont ever be making 1000 yard + shots on elk but i would like to be able to get out to that for coyotes at some point. I am really liking the remington sendero but i would like to hear thoughts from more experienced shooters. If at all possible i would like to keep the initial cost of scope/gun combo under 3k. Thanks guys.

First off welcome to the forum I like your name it made me smile. Secondly you are right on the money with your expectations and decisions and with your budget you have plenty of money for good optics. You are off to a great start, good luck on your quest.

Jason

Welcome!

I'd also recommend checking out the "Basics" forum, and scanning the Archives, to see how this question has been answered previously. It seems to pop up every 1-2 weeks so there is plenty of material to review. :D

A lot will depend on how you want to hunt with the rifle and what your longer term goals might be. For example, my Wby Vanguard in 270 shoots almost as well as my Rem Sendero in 7mm Rem Mag for less than half the money. I'm sure that when my handloading moves along they'll both improve. What is notable is the 2 pound weight difference between the two. Having hauled the Sendero around last year for a whitetail hunt I've moved to a lighter weight rifle for regular use.

Under 500 yards there are many options in "normal" rifles. For 500+ yards, though, I'd pick up the Sendero and go for it.

Thanks guys. I was thinking the sendero partly because of its weight. I'm a bit of a wuss so the more recoil reduction the better. I don't want to invest in a 300 mag and want to sell it after 10 rounds because im flinching to bad.

I would go 300WM--cause I graduated to a 338WM --no brake -fm .270--but you got to put a LIMB SAVER butt pad on it before you shoot it. Then if it is to strong get a removable brake put on for practice and screw it off and put your cover sleve on to hunt with cause you will not feel the kick when looking at an ELK!!!!!

Good luck. Been there done that.

both my 7mm mag and 300 win mag senderos have a vais brake one them . kick less than my 6.5-284 sendero.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.