noob with a question

first off im new to the long range game . im interested in a long range setup was wondering if any one has any personal experience with the savage 110 fcp hs precision chambered in 300 win mag. if so what are your thoughts about it .
also the nikon monarch 6 24x50 Side Focus Fine Crosshair With Dot. also would this be a 1000yd setup considering im up to the job.if not please make some suggestions

For me, I wouldn't go with a fine crosshair reticle since I am not a bench rest shooter. I don't like 1" tubes and that is what is on the Nikon Monarch that and the 30mm tubes just perform better under adverse conditions. I like the Mil systems. I have had Nikon Monarch in the past and the ones that I used had problems with longer ranges past 500 yards. The Nikon also did not do very well in heat when I was more likely to encounter mirage. If it were my gun, Nikon Monarch wouldn't even be in the running for consideration.

Depending on your shooting style, I would look at a different scope. If you are set on Nikon, I would look at their tactical models like the Monarch X. Invest in a good set of rings and base for your optics. As for the gun, thumbs up on that one.

Everyone I know shooting the Savages (made in the last ten years) is very happy with them.

Caliber wise there's not much you cannot do with the .300WM effectively out to 1,000yds and with the right bullets you can achieve incredible precision while still getting great terminal ballistics when you connect.

Scope wise I agree with the Surgeon, there are much better scopes out there than the Nikon Monarch. Personally I'd say save a little longer and go with the Viper Vortex or Leupold, and between the two I'd say go with the Leupold VX III's or Leupold Mark IV's. Don't be afraid of buying a used Leupod either since their warranty is for life and is on the scope, not the initial purchaser.

Nothing in the same price range beats leupold for durability or glass.

+1 for the 110 fcp in 300WM

For shooting rocks or steel at 1k, I don't see anthing wrong with the Nikon. I've got a cheapo Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40 that's reliable for that purpose at 1k.

My only complaint is that the crosshairs are really thick.

I also have Leupold and Nightforce scopes that are much better if you want to do some serious shooting. ...and, as conditions deteriorate.

Otherwise, I concur with the above posts that you can get better optics with a little more invested.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts