Non resident rifle elk in AZ

Spd522

I have been building points waiting for the time I would be able to go. I have never hunted AZ before but next year looks like the time to start putting in for tags vs points. I currently have 21 points and want into a good unit but one that I can physically handle. I will be 66 and have had some injuries over the years that will slow me down on steep or rugged terrain. Not sure how many more years of this I can handle but I am sure I have at least one more in me.

I do plan to use an outfitter so I am looking at them as well. I don't mind hunting private land either but I don't want a canned hunt. I want to earn it.

Where should I be applying and what guides should I consider? Thanks for any suggestions.

I have hunted with mentioned guide several times and I think he is as good as it gets. He guides both in New Mexico and Arizona. Give him a call and tell him I referred you. He will take care of you.

Keith Williams
928 242 0105

522, with 21 points you have a great shot at the early trophy bull tags. Your terrain restrictions could be a problem. Big bulls don't hang out next to roads or on flat treeless areas. Units 9 and 10 have some great bulls with 10 a more forgiving terrain. Unit 1 has a mountainous terrain and some nice bulls as well. Never used an outfitter, so I can't help with that. Good luck

I would call Jordan Christensen at The Draw....he is a tag consultant that used to be with Cabela's Outdoor Adventures and then WTA when Cabela's sold it.

He knows the ins and outs of about every unit there is and can recommend those that are suited to your goals and limitations. He also works with quality outfitters. He has never steered me wrong with any outfitters and i trust his evaluations 100%. He has a lot of history with most of the outfitters and therefore years or customer feedback on them.

I honestly can't recommend him strongly enough.

https://www.wearethedraw.com/

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.