• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED No one shoots a 30-40 Krag

I have seen ads for Rugers and Remingtons in 30/40 but never in Canada.....'would love one that can be scoped!
It took me almost a year after buying my first military US Krag to find a supply of ammunition. I lucked out with finding 10 boxes of new Remington Core Lokt, then older Imperial and Remington rounds later on. I fired the "carbine" Krag several times but really could not make proper use of the military sights very well. Last year I found a beautiful US Krag sporter with gorgeous Bishop's walnut stock. It came with a Pacific Gun Company peep base (no drilling of grinding needed) mounted into the magazine cutoff hole and secured to the receiver by a small screw. I initially added a Redfield peep sight aperture arm to the Pacific base and found this to provide a very nice sighting system in combination with the front blade sight. Over time I found even more ammunition on various gun and hunting forums but know that Remington produces the 30/40 so it can be obtained in most larger centers. I have fired the sporter with this arrangement and can reliably reproduce a 2-3 inch grouping at 100 yards with the Rem corelokt 180gr ammo. With the bolt system it is next to impossible to "bore" sight this rifle so the first sighting in is basically trial and error. Once sighted in the peep can be easily removed to allow removal of the bolt for cleaning, then placed back on the rifle to pretty much the original position. No such luck doing this with any scope system yet!. I hope to use this rifle for deer this fall and then maybe larger game. I would really prefer to fire this cartridge from a scoped rifle to experience how it performs but there does not seem to be a practical way to mount a scope on a US Krag without a lot of destructive heating and drilling (and making bolt removal next to impossible). Thanks for the interseting info on the Ruger