no luck with 162 eld-x and RE23

cohunt

so I've tried messing with the 162 eld-x and RE23 in my 7 rem mag -- found 2 "accuracy" nodes (if you want to call them that) 1 at 62 grains (around 3000fps) and 1 at 66 grains (almost 6200fps) -- but the 66 grain load had hard bolt lift so I quit shooting that one..--tried everything from 60 gr up to 66 grains and tried adjusting c.o.a.l. from max mag length to "minimum book length" --nothing seems to be working . using 1x fired neck sized brass from my rifle (trimmed to minimum length, turned the neck and uniformed and de-bured the PP) and using CCI 250's.--sorted brass and bullets by weight.

problem is they aren't accurate, 1.3 moa (yuck!!) ---I also have RE22 on my shelf

do I try the RE22 with the 162's? or do I try the 150 eldx? or some other bullet/powder combo? I really would like to stay with the RE22 or 23 powder, but if my rifle doesn't like them, then I'll have to try something else. 24" barrel with 9.25 twist, the 162's show a stability factor of 1.8, the 150's show 1.98

I guess it could be issues with brass , primer, or the rifle itself, but trying not to change everything right now, still working on the basic bullet/power combo--- 1 step at a time

I run the 162 eld-match in my Browning. Rl-26 and rl-22 both shot great but rl-26 gave much better velocity. The load I settled on is 3115 fps. I shoot them .010 off the lands. Right around .5 moa depends on me that day as it's not a easy gun to shoot tight groups with.

If you decided to switch bullets I've had had good results with the 168 berger vld. I just don't shoot them because of cost and the bc on the 162 is quite a bit higher.

Thanks for the info--If I try the RE22 with the 162 eld-x's --- can you give me an idea of your accuracy node? --I know each rifle is different

my initial problem was trying to find load data for the 162 eld-x's so I had to use the data for the a-max's

tried RE22, was a bit better but still not super--- I switched brass and now backed off charge and started over with new ladder--I'm wondering if it has to do with the large jump due to not loading longer than mag length--I'm gonna try some single fed longer than mag length next time to se, if that doesn't work then I may buy some RE26 or H1000 and try again till I run out of bullets

Most guys seem to be finding the best results with ELD's just off the lands. I'd bet single loading will give you better results. If you want to seat at mag length, the Berger Classic hunter would be my choice. Not quite the BC, but not as sensitive to jump either.

Your barrel might not like the ELD x bullets at all.
I've tried them in three different calibers and five different cartridges, one barrel slightly likes them (.75 moa average).

Oddly enough it is a 7wsm with RL23:rolleyes:

yup, I figured if these don't work I may try the 165 SGC's next
I'm not a berger fan for hunting so if I can't get thes to shoot I'll try the green tip next

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts