no fireforming 338

Long Ranger... Your not Rick by chance are you???

If so what is the next show in Edmonton you'll be @??

I'll try to get there to chat some more You have got me really curious....

Thanks

That sounds pretty cool but I would hate to mix up a live primer Ugh!

ME TOO!!! As hard to get and expensive as primers are, it would be a shame to waste 1.

blygly
Yup its me. I have had to greatly cut back on the number of shows I attend.
The build list for custom rifles has increased expotentially and when I am not at the shop, it is really hard to build rifles, then guys get growly and you know what happens.
I am also in the works at adding more CNC equipment to my shop, so I can start to build more of my own actions, and there are so few days in a week.
I am booked at the big spring show here in Calgary, but apart from the SHOT Show and maybe Kamloops, that is about it for this year.
Let me know if you have any questions I can answer for you.
Cheers
Rick

AI 338 lapua or 338 lapua long ranger

What is the difference in velocity between the AL 338 lapua and the 338 lapua? What powder are you using? How much more powder does the AL hold?
Thanks, Joe

What is the difference in velocity between the AL 338 lapua and the 338 lapua? What powder are you using? How much more powder does the AL hold?
Thanks, Joe

My own 338LAI sends 300 gr SMKs down range at 3065fps muzzle velocity
The standard Lapua chambering I have build typically only attain 2850 to 2875 fps at the muzzle with the 300 gr SMKs
Of the many I have built to date the slowest 1 reported only 2985 fps with the 300s, the fastest was 3090 fps with 300s.
The velocity is not such a big deal to me, but the 9% case capcity gain means 1 can use the slower powders to great benefit, which means more velocity with heavier bullets.
The other big plus is that with the 40 degree shoulder the brass just does not grow, at least not yet.
I am still using the same 100 Lapua casings I formed for this rifle, it has been loaded 11 times now and I have not had to trim at all.
In my rifle I have found 111.5 grs of US869 delivers the posted speed but in just under 1/8th moa groupings.
I did get up to 116 grains of 869 but found the beginnings of pressure on my primers, so backed down until I found the sweetspot again

Just go with the .338 RUM and you will be happy. Tim

Yup there are some folks who are happy with a bone stock Kia automobile as well.
The difference between even a standard Edge and a 338 RUM is considerable, the difference between standard Edge and Edge AI is another leap, sorto of like naturally aspirated engines versus blown 1s.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.