No ejector on bolt?

AXL beat me to it with AW method. I wish I had know this earlier and stress it to others.
I had 500 virgin Peterson brass for my BR that was running into wired pressure issues at low velocity and I ended up giving up on the brass. I watched Wheelers video and then later thought to retry the Peterson brass. Even though it was new I found my bolt met resistance trying to chamber using this method and so it was a headspace issue with fired brass. Now after bumping the shoulder I can use that brass with confidence.

In Eric Cortina's video on setting up sizing die. He says to strip your bolt of the ejector so there's no pressure from it. Then he says his bolt doesn't have one? How does he pull the brass from the chamber after shooting? Please explain this to me.

Just get this tool.

Measure fired brass. Sacrifice a case, notch the rim to make room for the ejector. Remove firing assembly from bolt.

Using the notched brass, set your seating die while using this tool to record comparative measurement against the fired case.

Just get this tool.

Measure fired brass. Sacrifice a case, notch the rim to make room for the ejector. Remove firing assembly from bolt.

Using the notched brass, set your seating die while using this tool to record comparative measurement against the fired case.
Bat thats too easy Ned. We need complicated things.

Just used mine today.

20230730_142155.jpg

Ned, I did not know about this one when I bought my set, saw it much later. I have the Hornady version, which individual bushing for each cartridge. This one IMHO is better, but I allready have a set.

Last edited:
I'd get a comparitor instead of stripping your bolt and trying to set your dies that way. I use Hornady's, but there's plenty of other tools that do the same job. It's more accurate and less work in my opinion.

To answer your question, some guns use a spring loaded ejector built into the bolt. When the brass is pulled far enough back to clear the ejection port the spring kicks the brass out. That's the style he's saying to disassemble, and is typically used on push feed rifles. Some use a stationary piece in the action. When you pull the bolt back the brass hits that little fin and gets kicked out. That style is typically used on controlled round feed actions. Some don't have en ejector at all, just extractors to pull the brass out of the chamber. The brass then has to be manually removed. You'll typically find that on single shots. Cortina's rifle is probably one of the last two types.