nitride treatment

This makes no sense to me unless there has been significant throat erosion & the smoother surface keeps the rifling from grabbing the bullet. If that's the case, the barrel was toast already.

Even if the barrel has been shot a lot, this treatment should slow the future wear down considerably & keep it shooting well longer. If a "well used" rifle is dismantled & reassembled, that might introduce accuracy issues — but that would not be caused by the metal treatment, just by disassembly & reassembly.

Only question I have is whether a barreled action can be treated as one piece or whether it must be dismantled completely prior to treatment. I would love to get a couple of bright stainless rifles treated as this would dull the stainless glare, and make the rifles more wear resistant. If this could be done without removing barrel from action my costs would be lower.
Buano I want to know the same thing
Retiredcpo

This makes no sense to me unless there has been significant throat erosion & the smoother surface keeps the rifling from grabbing the bullet. If that's the case, the barrel was toast already

I'm no expert on this and as I said, this is just based on what I've read up on so far.

Even if the barrel has been shot a lot, this treatment should slow the future wear down considerably & keep it shooting well longer. If a "well used" rifle is dismantled & reassembled, that might introduce accuracy issues — but that would not be caused by the metal treatment, just by disassembly & reassembly.

Once again, after googling the subject, and reading several threads on others "experiences", barrels that show some throat erosion or fire cracking lost significant accuracy after being treated. If anyone wants to try and be the guinea pig, be my guest. I would love to hear the results. But I don't plan on throwing money down the tube... so to speak... to find out. this treatment apparently works best with nice crisp rifling grooves and broke in. If you don't break it in, any rough spots in the tube are there permanently for the tubes remaining life. Do a search on the subject and call a couple of folks who do the process for better info.

Only question I have is whether a barreled action can be treated as one piece or whether it must be dismantled completely prior to treatment. I would love to get a couple of bright stainless rifles treated as this would dull the stainless glare, and make the rifles more wear resistant. If this could be done without removing barrel from action my costs would be lower.

This same question was asked on another thread, and no real answer was given. There was some concern that the barrel threads might seize in the receiver. I'm sure a gunsmith whose had a few of these done would know the answer.

Last edited:
I'm no expert on this and as I said, this is just based on what I've read up on so far.

Once again, after googling the subject, and reading several threads on others "experiences", barrels that show some throat erosion or fire cracking lost significant accuracy after being treated. If anyone wants to try and be the guinea pig, be my guest. I would love to hear the results. But I don't plan on throwing money down the tube... so to speak... to find out. this treatment apparently works best with nice crisp rifling grooves and broke in. If you don't break it in, any rough spots in the tube are there permanently for the tubes remaining life. Do a search on the subject and call a couple of folks who do the process for better info.

This same question was asked on another thread, and no real answer was given. There was some concern that the barrel threads might seize in the receiver. I'm sure a gunsmith whose had a few of these done would know the answer.

what about doing them seperatly then assembling them might look funny have a stainleesw action and black barrel
retiredcpo

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.