Niobrara County, Wy. speed goat this fall

MagTen

Making plans now for speed goat hunt in Wy. this fall. Will be my first trip there to hunt. Just purchased a new Rem. Model 7 Predator 243 for my rifle and scope will be Nikon Prostaff 5 3.5x14x40 BCD. Anyone hunted that area?

gun)

Making plans now for speed goat hunt in Wy. this fall. Will be my first trip there to hunt. Just purchased a new Rem. Model 7 Predator 243 for my rifle and scope will be Nikon Prostaff 5 3.5x14x40 BCD. Anyone hunted that area?

gun)

Not knowing what unit you are discussing all I can offer is I have hunted just west of that county, lots of goats, you should have no problem filling the cooler.

What unit did you apply for and do you already have access to any private property that is predominant in that county? If you don't have at least one Preference Point, you should be aware that unit 8 was the only one that did not require a PP for a 100% draw. Unit 9 was 67.48% draw with no PPs, unit 11 was 11.68% with no PPs, and unit 29 was 74.53% with no PPs. If things go like last year, the G&F should have the draw results and leftover licenses posted on the website by the end of next week, or the middle of the following week at the latest. Good luck!

If you draw the tag, try the 100 grain Hornady BTSP in your .243. That's what I used in my Sako last year to take an 80" buck out there and he was DRT!

Would you think 70-80 grain ballistic tip type bullets be OK for this hunt?

I have killed several goats with ballistic tips, heavier than 70-80 grain, but what I was shooting was overkill. 70-80 grain will do the job just fine as long as you put it where it counts.

MagTen
I sure hope they get some rain soon, Lusk has received LESS that 4" of rain so far this year. When I was out there last year that area looked like the surface of the Moon, the ONLY green there, was what was irrigated.
If the property you have access to has irrigated Alfalfa fields you will be covered up with Antelope, if not and they don't get some rain it could be tough.

Good luck

Dave

I will sit down with the hunt coordinator this weekend and should get some good info from him. I plan on taking a Remington 750 35 whelen also that I have been testing for long range with 180 grain Barnes TTSX bullets. I know this is a little overkill but I want to test the range before I go elk hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts