Nikon Monarch 6,6x20 compared to Leapold 6,5x20 or Black diamond

Iron Worker

On Hunter discount.com I can pick up a Nikon 6.5x20x44 for $409.00. How do those compare with Leapolds VIII or Burris Black Diamond or signature select????? Want it for a walking varminter with a bunch of bench work (Developeing loads)

Ironworker, Howdy!

I don't know the Nikon scope you mentioned , but I do know that Nikon is making some really good scopes for not as much money as the high end scopes.
Jerry Teo has written a review of the new Nikon buckmaster with the side Parallax adjustment, actually he has upgraded that review a couple of times ( I think) and he has good things to say about them as he is personally using one.
I am using a Leupold mk4 at this time and I think it 's good as grits and eggs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifWhich coming from me is saying a lot ( I really like my grits and eggs) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
I also really like your signature
I reckon you just have to decide what dollars you have to spend on these toys.
Jim B.

This is where looking through these scopes makes a big difference. In general, I have been very pleased with the Nikon Monarchs and new gen Buckmasters I have used. They have awesome glass at very reasonable pricing.

My eyes just don't like the Luppies enough to justify the premium they ask for. Many, many shooters don't feel this way.

My only experience with the Burris Black Diamond is through a Pentax lightseeker 30. The same or different, I cannot say. However, the Pentax has decent optics and the ability to see mirage 'clearly' and still resolve the image. Kind of bizarre. Only scope I have ever seen do this.

Turrents are ultra stupid at 7.5min per revolution. For that one reason alone, I would not recommend anyone share the grief. I am sure that this wonderful feature has since been removed.

The Luppy and Burris are much more money then the Nikon. The Nikon is every bit as good optically (I feel better actually) and mechanically reliable. You will be very happy with these optics if you go this route.

Now if really on a budget, I will recommend again, the new gen Nikon Buckmaster 4X14 side focus. Very nice optics for dirt cheap.

I also am very fond on the Elite 4200 series of scopes and feel their optics are second to none. Mechanically superb. A 4X16-40 will do everything you want for even less money then the Monarch. If you want a bit more mag, the 6X24 is a great buy.

Jerry

I have to agree with Jerry on the new Buckmaster 4.5-14x40SF. After using it alot lately so far its very good opticly, and perfect mechanicly.

I got one of the Nikon Monarch 6.5x20x44 off GunBroker.com for about $375. I haven't got it mounted yet though. I also picked up 3 Nikon Monarch Golds. Two 2.5x10x50mm and one 2.5x10x56mm. All very reasonable in price. I plan on mounting the 6.5x20 on my Remington Etronx .220 swift. It should work out real well.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.