nightforce xbal - how do I? Shawn, anybody..

grit

I got nightforce software for my pc and pocket pc. I've been fooling with it a bit. How do I save profiles for different cartridges, then load 'em back up to get a solution? Is there a site with instructions?

Just click on file> and then save> or save as> and that will do it. You can also click on the save icon at the top. It's the third one from the left and looks like a little disk.

If you want info you can also click on "Help" at the top and it will help you out some. Any more questions and you can usually get help on here.;)

I've saved them as excel files. I don't know how to get 'em back into x bal. Maybe I need to save 'em another way. I'll take a look. Thanks.

Ok. I tried that way. It works fine. When I try to open one of the excel files xbal won't do it. I've tried opening excel through the exbal link first. It works but I can't get the info back into xbal.

So, it looks like I need to save the files as xbal files and just use excel to print them.

Last edited:
Next question.
I have a Dell Axim. Can I make it so I can fill in the data boxes with write? So I don't have to use the tiny keyboard which is a bit slow and sometimes gets the wrong number or letter. Actually, I'm not sure this pda has "write". My last pda was a palm.??

I've saved them as excel files. I don't know how to get 'em back into x bal. Maybe I need to save 'em another way. I'll take a look. Thanks.

Ok. I tried that way. It works fine. When I try to open one of the excel files xbal won't do it. I've tried opening excel through the exbal link first. It works but I can't get the info back into xbal.

So, it looks like I need to save the files as xbal files and just use excel to print them.
As near as I know, Exbal creates the Excel files and can export data to Excel but I've never seen a way that you can import data from Excel to Exbal.

Next question.
I have a Dell Axim. Can I make it so I can fill in the data boxes with write? So I don't have to use the tiny keyboard which is a bit slow and sometimes gets the wrong number or letter. Actually, I'm not sure this pda has "write". My last pda was a palm.??
I use a Palm and only have Exbal on it so I've never had occasion to try and cut and paste etc. Once you have a file created and saved in Exbal about the only thing you will change routinely is the field/weather data and that doesn't take long at all.

Thanks Dick. I'm a bit embarrassed I didn't realized what was happening with the excel files. My last pda had a "write" program. It had me write some things for handwriting recognition. Then I could take notes or fill in data fields like xbal has in handwriting and the "write" program would type out what I wrote. If I can do this with the Axim I haven't figured it out. I have to pop up a little keyboard and type in the info one key at a time. The keyboard is rather small and I often get the wrong key. Just a bit of nuiscance.

So, if I could use a "write" type program to transfer my handwriting or even make the typewriter bigger it would be handy.

Saving Files on the Pocket PC

From the main screen, click on "File" which is located in the bottom left hand corner of the screen. this will produce a "POP-UP" window in the same bottome left hand corner of the screen. In that window there are four choices, 1) New... 2) Open 3) Save As 4) Exit
Choose / Pick "Save As"

A new full screen window Pops Up with four input data areas;
1) Name 2) Folder 3) Type 4) Location

At the bottom of the screen are two choices, 1) Save 2) Cancel

For the name, input whatever name you want to save the file as, i.e. "BH .308 - 168's"

For the folder option, this is where you choose which sub-directory you want this particular file stored.

For file type, use the default .bul as the file extension.

For location, choose either the main memory of the pocket pc or on a memory card.

Then click on save. When you want to open up the file the next time you are out, click on "File" and then "Open" and choose the file.

When you were talking Exbal and Excel I just thought desktop because I only have Exbal on my Palm. You must be talking about using Exbal, Excel and write etc. on your PC based handheld unit so disregard what I've said as it applies to desktop only.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.