Nightforce Scope/Nightforce Rings Question

rangerman

I have a new NXS 5.5x22x56 scope and am waiting on the ultralight Nightforce rings to come in. This is my first Nightforce scope but on other scope/ring combinations (except when using the Burris Signature Zee rings w/inserts) I have always lined the inside of the rings with the blue 3M painters tape to prevent ring marks on the scope tube. This has served me exceptionally well with absolutely no problems and no ring marks whatsoever. The question I have is should I use the tape on the Nightforce rings or just use them as they are. I just want to protect the finish on the scope tube.
Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations and advice.

I actually talked to a gentleman at Nightforce who told me that the Nightforce rings were designed with such close tolerances that he would not reccomend putting the 3M painters tape on the inside of the rings. I personally have had outstanding success with putting the tape on the rings and hesitate to just put the "bare" rings on this expensive scope. Maybe I should just try the tape and see what happens. Thanks again for any and all replys.

I just mounted 2 nightforce scopes last night in their rings and they fit like a glove. Bought them from Bob Beck and he had them in rings also and there is not a mark on them.. I would say let it fly...

Quality rings and bases are a whole different ball game. The quality of the product and machining is very good. The scope tube is to spec, as is the ID of the ring. Adding anything to the inside diameter of the ring will make the bore smaller and upset the matching of the two. I would clean them and mount it up like the NF directions say to do. I have mounted many with no issues. If you do not over torque , or twist the scope with ring pressure on the tube, I doubt you will have any ring marks. At least this has been my experience.

Jeff

I just mounted my new 5.5-22 nxs in the new ultra light rings.no tape and its perfect. Honestly couldnt be happier with the combination. That scope fits in those rings so perfect its scary!

Thanks guys for your replys. I believe I will just use the rings without the tape since it has worked for you without scope ring marks on the scope tube. NowI just wish those rings would get hear so I can mount that beauty on the 300 RUM!!

What height rings do you have Dragman? Do you use the top ring scope level and would you have one of these?
Also, something I was wondering is do most of the guys using the Nightforce scope use the scope shade that comes with the Nightforce scope? I have never used one even on my Sightron scopes but that doesn't mean a person would never need one. It seems about the only time a person would need one would be early or late in the day when he had to take a shot toward the sun. I'm thinking I'll just screw it on and put the Butler Creek scope caps on and be good to go.

The NXS 5.5-22x56 has low glare and fairly high contrast. I would be surprised if you found that a sun shade was needed for hunting. I would test it under setting sun conditions like you mentioned. With the sun shade off, vary the magnification from low to high and see if the contrast decreases as the magnification approaches the max. If so, repeat with the sunshade on to see if it makes a difference.

Regarding blue painter's tape, it is 0.005" thick and likely will not easily fit inside machined rings like those from NF. Also it isn't weather resistant and the tape material isn't very strong. If the ring shears the tape when the ring is tightened, the tape will likely tear and bunch up, creating a stress point. Plus the surface texture is rough, so the contact area may not be as high as with the machined ring surface.

I have a lot of experience using tapes of various kinds to line the rings. I've found a polymer tape that works well in some applications. It is 0.0025" thick, very strong and weather resistant. HighPowerOptics supplies it to customers for use with lapped rings and machined rings that do not fit tightly.

Be aware that use of machined rings does not guarantee that both rings will be coaxial. If the base is installed improperly, it could be bent or twisted and even machined rings will be out of alignment. Then you could have problems with the side focus, point of aim shift, ring marks, etc. If the base is not straight, fix that first by bedding the base.

In general, for machined rings I recommend checking the ring alignment. If the base is straight and the rings are coaxial, install the scope without anything between the ring and tube. When in doubt about the ring alignment, lap the rings even if they are machined. Tighten the ring screws using the proper screw torque. If you find that the scope slips due to recoil, then consider adding something between the ring and tube. Otherwise, you're GTG.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.