Nightforce Ocular Housing?

murf

When adjusting the power setting on my nightforce NXS, the whole ocular housing rotates with the power ring. When I spoke with one of the Nightforce guys a couple of years ago about this, he stated that it had never been brought to their attention before and he was going to ask their engineering guy about it, but never heard anything more from them. I noticed it when adjusting the power with my butler creek flip ups installed. I think it kind of sucks myself and was wondering why the NXS was designed this way. Are the NXS scopes the only ones to do this or is there another maker using this power setting design also.

Just thought I might ask, it's been bugging me for a long time! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Murf

i noticed that myself, so i set the power in the middle before slipping the cover on it. there has been a time when the bolt handle has hit it. kinda weird set up

Striker,

Exactly, I just wanted to be sure I'm not crazy or anything. It's nice to hear that somebody else has pondered the same question! What in the heck were they thinking???

Murf

I don't have anything to add to what you two guys are talking about since I have only even looked through one Nightforce scope in my life but I wanted to jump in and say welcome to the LRH forums to both of you.

That, the weight, and 56mm objective are the big weaknesses in NF w/regard to practicality.
There are flip-ups which can rotate freely when installed. I bought a set for my NF, but they didn't fit. So I stuck, like you.

I called NF on this, and they said the thread pitch is fine enough that it doesnt cause enough edvancement to make it an issue.

JB

Yeah, this is bad designing in my book. On the other end of the scope, look at how many scope companies have adjustable objectives that rotate the entire bell housing causing the same problem with scope covers on the objective lens! Someone at Leupold was using their head about this because neither their eyepiece nor their objective interferes with scope covers.

4ked horn,
Thanks for the warm welcome and hello to you sir. Everybody here on the board seems to be good people so I figured I'd just ask everybody if they had ran into the same situation as I on the flip-ups w/ the NXS.

jb100br,
The advancement of the ocular lens has not been my problem, it's the flip-up scope cover that gets in the way of the bolt sometimes. The ocular housing on my NXS 5.5-22 goes through 180 deg. of rotation through the power range. It just kind of sucks cuz there is really no good index point to use when installing flip-ups.

goodgrouper,
You are right about the leupolds and somebody there was thinking for once, too bad NF wasn't on the same page in respect to lens covers. I mean with the price of their glass they should know that anybody with a brain is going to protect their investment. Nice 820YD Cow Elk by the way, impressive, congratulations. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Murf

Howdy Murf, Wellcome to the dog pile! Having only owned one Nightforce scope, the only downside I found was not having a gunbearer to carry the extra weight of the scope. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Murf--havent actually shot my 5-22 yet, sleeting today /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif hopefully get to on monday.

try setting the cap straight up on 11 power -- see how that works.

I'll paly with mine this weekend (the scope that is) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JB

I am not familiar at all with this stated problem; and apprently neither is John Brewer, winner of the U.S. National F-Class Championship in October, 2004 or his 6.5 x 284.
Brewer_09x620a.jpg

John is a member of the U.S. F-Class Rifle Team, and will soon depart for South Africa to compete in the World F-Class Championships. The chosen scope? As you can see, Night Force, Night Force, Night Force and yep, Night Force.
Team_USA_01x550.jpg

Night Force isn't heavier than any Leupold or Schmidt Bender and sits atop all of my rifles.

If you are interested in more information regarding the Team, here is their contact information.

U.S. F-Class Rifle Team
P.O. Box 372307
El Paso, TX 79937-2307

W,
What were talking about here is that on the NXS, when you adjust the power ring, everything from the ring back turns too. Do you have an NXS that doesn't do this, if so how old is it, just curious maybe they have fixed this problem.

Murf

Murph: I see what you are talking about... Yes, it does move. However in my opinion there is not a performance issue. But yeah, you are right, it does.

W,
You are right about no performance issue, this is by far the best **** scope $1200 can buy IMHO. I wouldn't mount anything but a NF on my rifles. Ruggedness, repeatability, clarity, features and ease of use are all wrapped up in the NF line.
I guess the only gripe I have is my rear flip-up turning and getting in the way sometimes, I'll live with it and when funds permit, buy more of 'em! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Murf

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.