nightforce magnification ranging question

raisincenter

I am getting so confused I can't see straight. I am looking at the:
5.5-22
8-32
12-42

The high magnification numbers are nice, but are they worth anything other than using scope as spotting scope. My main question is in relation to ranging holdover with these scopes. Nightforce says that they are to be ranged at 22x on all of them. So if I get the NP-R1 which is the reticle I really like, then I can only use this reticle to hold over at 22x even though I may have a scope of 42x power? Also Lilja website says that reticles on nightforce are on 2 plane, and size of reticle doesn't change. this can't be right, when nightforce is saying have to use it on 22x. Let me know where I am missing something.

I have all 3. If your just going to hunt go with the 5.5x22. The reticle doesn't change sizes , but the target your aiming at does. When set on 22x the range setting, there are bars on bottom of scope with yards above each bar that represents 18 inches, if I recall right. So you fit a deer from top of back to bottom of brisket, and read the yards above line it fits in.
If you turn up more then 22x it will know longer represent 18 inches. Hope I made since I know what I'm trying say just not sure if I explained right.
I shoot f-class every month, when we start in morning I have mine set on 42x, and it is very clear, but when the sun shines I have to turn down to about 28x to 30x .

If you wish to be able to range at all magnifications, get a FFP (first focal plane) scope.

If your use of the scope is to be for hunting, I don't see a lot of use for 22X on the top end. A 5.5-22X Nightforce scope is big, heavy and when you're getting ready to shoot you have to set the parallax. Add in the ranging and it takes a bit of time to get ready for a long range shot. A scope with 10X on the top end is plenty for 400 or 500 yard shots on deer. In fact, I have a 204 Ruger with a 2-7X Leupold scope I used to dispatch a crow at a bit over 300 yards.

Well my concern was running out of adjustment, so i thought I could use the reticle if need be to get more adjustment, but if I can only do that on 22x then I guess I would be better off with 5.5 -22 and then I have 100 moa of travel and it is pretty much a non issue.

Well my concern was running out of adjustment, so i thought I could use the reticle if need be to get more adjustment, but if I can only do that on 22x then I guess I would be better off with 5.5 -22 and then I have 100 moa of travel and it is pretty much a non issue.

Bingo. Love mine.

I have all 3. If your just going to hunt go with the 5.5x22. The reticle doesn't change sizes , but the target your aiming at does. When set on 22x the range setting, there are bars on bottom of scope with yards above each bar that represents 18 inches, if I recall right. So you fit a deer from top of back to bottom of brisket, and read the yards above line it fits in.
If you turn up more then 22x it will know longer represent 18 inches. Hope I made since I know what I'm trying say just not sure if I explained right.
I shoot f-class every month, when we start in morning I have mine set on 42x, and it is very clear, but when the sun shines I have to turn down to about 28x to 30x .

I don't think "MO" is talking about the correct retical. The NP-R1 has twenty, 1 MOA hash marks below the main crosshair and ten above. These are 1 MOA with the scope set at 22X.....1MOA = 1" at 100yds, 5" at 500 yds, 12" at 1200 yds, ect.... If you turn the scope down to 11 power, the MOA values double...instead of 20 one MOA hash marks you now have 20 two MOA hash marks......2MOA = 2" at 100yds, 10" at 500, 24" at 1200, ect..... Dial down to 5.5 power and you simply re double to 4moa hash marks.....4MOA = 4" at 100 yds 20" at 500 yards, 48" at 1200 yards.

The cross hairs remain the same size to your eye...the do not GROW when you increase the power.

I , to, have the 5.5 - 22, 8-32, and the 12-42 NSX's....love them all, but it is the 5.5 - 22 for hunting...... you simply do not need any more than that.

Add to that the 100MOA internal adjustments, PLUS another 80 MOA of holdover (at 5.5x) and you can shoot WAY further than you will ever need.

Last edited:
not to throw a wrench into anything but i also have a 5.5 X 22 X56 and love it. and if you want to convert it to mil dots. for ranging just turn it down to 12 power and you have mil lines instead of MOA. Night Force is the only scope i know that you can have it all in one package. MOA or Mil dots. it might be heavy and some glass is clearer but at the end of the day my Night Force will still be spot on.

not to throw a wrench into anything but i also have a 5.5 X 22 X56 and love it. and if you want to convert it to mil dots. for ranging just turn it down to 12 power and you have mil lines instead of MOA. Night Force is the only scope i know that you can have it all in one package. MOA or Mil dots. it might be heavy and some glass is clearer but at the end of the day my Night Force will still be spot on.

Good to know on the mil dot's....Since I hunt with the best of range finders, I never have seen the need for using the mil dot system for ranging. But it sure is cool as hell to know that you can do it!!! :D

You can use the MOA retice to range just like you can mils. The principle is the same just the numbers in the formula are different.

If you have a variable power scope then you can find the calibration for mils with a MOA reticle or for MOA with a mil reticle. Doesn't matter who the maker of the scope is.

I have recently bought the 8.5-32 with 56mm lens. I absolutely love it! I understand where your're coming from and I was the same way about which one to purchase. My decision was based on the fact that I do not want to hold over and like to adjust the turrets so the hash marks dialed in to 22 power doesn't matter to me. But truth be told,I was just recently shooting at 700 yrds on 22 power and could see a one foot dirt lump super clearly. If you are looking to use the hash marks for windage and hold over, I'm sure that you won't be disappointed with the 22 power. Nightforce is absolutely amazing and I now find every other scope I look through pales in comparison. You will be spoiled after you buy one. LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.