Nickman signing up from the Eastern Sierra of Ca

nickman

Hi guys!....looks like I found a new place to play....

I live in California, at the foot of Mt. Whitney.

I am an old guy, 62, but VERY active outdoors. I am an NRA Life Member.

I shoot.........anytime, anything, and anywhere I can.

I love fast, little bullets that go a long way in a hurry. I currently own 9 rifles in 22cal or less. Some old, some new...all fun.

I am fortunate to live in an area where I can shoot coyotes on a daily basis. We have a lot, and I consider it a sacred duty to see that the population does not get out of hand.

Last edited:
Dogdinger......yes, I am stuck here for a few more years.

This IS the best part of Ca.......if that is possible to imagine. I have a million acres to play in with very few fences or restrictions.

Since we're talking, I just sent my Colorado deer ap in yesterday and need to find out what a non-resi needs, to whack a few coyotes while I'm up there this fall.......any clue?

Last edited:
Welcome nickman. As you can see I am into rifles of a larger variety. I have not made it out yet at all this year for a dog shoot, but if I get out of wolf country here in northwest montana, I get to roam millions of acres of coyote country myself from time to time.

Welcome.

My wife was a flight nurse for a while and had to go to Lone Pine quite a bit. She said it was the scariest place they ever had to land.

WOLVES!!!!!.....I would love that option!

I have actually thought about a guided trip somewhere to just do the wolf thing.

The calendar year is some 53 days old and I have 21 coyotes down.

I have pretty much been out every morning since the cows have started dropping calves around here.

Almost all of my shooting is "road hunting", patroling the areas where the local ranchers are keeping the cows. I have calls also, but I HATE that noisey crap!

These dogs are savvy, and run several hundred yards when they see a truck.

We just stop, get out, set up a rest and wait a few minutes. Their curiosity gets the best of them, and they eventually expose themselves.

Inside 200 yards, they get the .204, anything beyond that and it's the .220 Swift.

On windy days, I just take the .243 with 58 gr Hornady VMax, or the 100 gr Light Magnums.

I am pretty much Hornady's best customer. I love their factory loads....they all shoot "minute of coyote" in my rifles.

I quit reloading several years ago when I quit benchrest shooting. I still own 3 rifles that I have to reload for, since no factory stuff is available.......I have a few loaded up, so I doubt I will have to borrow a loader.

Anyway, hope the weather breaks up for you soon and you can get out amongst 'em.

Yes, pretty much a little airport.

I am very fond of Elko, by the way.

If I didn't live here, I would be in your area. That mountain range south of Elko, is just like here.

Weather hasn't been to bad, I've just had to many other things going on, and to little money and time to head to eastern montana. I'll make up for it later. My son and I will both have new rifles to shoot soon. When mine gets here we'll burn up a lot of ammo. His is a .338 federal, mine a .300 rum.

Yes, pretty much a little airport.

I am very fond of Elko, by the way.

If I didn't live here, I would be in your area. That mountain range south of Elko, is just like here.

I like it here too. I was wrong about Lone Pine being a bad place to land, she said that it was Mammoth that was the worst. I have a bad memory. At least I was close.

Email me if you are ever passing through. There's a nice 600 yard range here, and a 1000+ yard range in Carlin. Plus we have a few coyotes that are starving for attention.

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.