Nickle vs. regular brass?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Jodipuma, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Jodipuma

Jodipuma Member

I'm fairly new to reloading and was wondering if there are any extra steps that need to be taken with Nickle played brass compared to regular brass? Is it harder to load? Does it resize different?

2. Gunpoor

Gunpoor Well-Known Member

The nickel plated cases load and shoot just like the non-plated. I have heard some people say that you are putting your sizing die at risk with the plated but I have loaded many rounds of plated cases without any damage to the dies.

3. varmintH8R

varmintH8R Well-Known Member

4. RT2506

RT2506 Well-Known Member

The nickel plated cases load and shoot just like the non-plated. I have heard some people say that you are putting your sizing die at risk with the plated but I have loaded many rounds of plated cases without any damage to the dies.

I have had the same results and agree with this statement.

5. tbrice23

tbrice23 Well-Known Member

I was working up a new lot of h4831. I used mixed brass and it appears nickel has less capacity becausr the lower charges had similar velocities of brass at higher charges.

Attached Files:

6. Hunter2678

Hunter2678 Well-Known Member

IMHO stay away from it if possible.

7. dig

dig Well-Known Member

Nickle is certainly harder and more difficult to work with. That being said it can work fine. I was given a large lot of Federal nickel in 300 Wby. Given the cost, I reloaded it. Ensure the brass is very clean (I use stainless media), lube well when resizing and your dies will be fine. It will dull the case trimmer head quicker as it's harder, I replaced with a carbon cutter. You will notice some flaking of the nickel when trimming and chamfering, no big deal. All in it shoots fine, never corrodes, and feeds well. It's just a bit more difficult to work with. Would I buy it new, NO. If you have it use it!

As for capacity the federal is not coated on the interior.

8. baldhunter

baldhunter Well-Known Member

The problem with nickel brass is,it can vary from lot to lot.The first batch I tried I absolutely loved it.I loaded some of that brass more than a dozen times out of my 7mag.I bought a second batch that was the worst brass I ever saw.It was so inconsistent in hardness.Some bullets would be very hard to seat because of the hardness and some would seat with ease.The uneven neck tension showed up in lack of accuracy with that batch of brass.I went back to regular brass after that and have not used the nickel stuff since.

9. flashhole

flashhole Well-Known Member

I don't find nickel brass any more difficult to load than conventional non-plated brass but there is one nice advantage to nickel plated brass. It is not subject to corrosion when stored or carried in a leather ammo belt like conventional brass. I try and reserve my nickel brass for hunting for that reason.

10. Hunter2678

Hunter2678 Well-Known Member

From Varmint Al's reloading page.