Nickel Brass

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by muleyman, May 1, 2008.

1. muleyman

muleyman Well-Known Member

Besides not tarnishing and the difference in price, are there any ad/disadvantages to using it over regular brass.....

2. old_heli_logger

old_heli_logger Well-Known Member

I don't care for it myself. The nickel is a plating and it can flake off in your dies; I don't like the thought of that kind of grit in my dies.

Just my opinion.

Good luck!

3. craigp40

craigp40 Well-Known Member

I don't like it because it seems to not size as easily (not as flexible as regular brass) and it's harder to trim.

4. rocky_lange

rocky_lange Well-Known Member

The only advantage I see is being able to spot empty casings that may find their way to the ground. Easy to spot against a pile of "brass". But that being said, it is still easy enough to find my magnum sized brass against the piles of .30-30, .223 and 7.62x57 brass that are scattered at my local public range.

5. Reloader

Reloader Well-Known Member

Nickel Brass....

I've used it for a few carts.

It's easier to clean and easier to spot expansion rings torward the end of it's life. That said, I see no real advantage to using it. I'll only purchase it when it's on sale for a good price. Never had an issue with the plating coming off in dies.... Just as good as regular brass IME.

Good Luck

Reloader

6. Shortmagman

Shortmagman Well-Known Member

I have used Nickel cases loading my 22-250 and 270 Win.. Since it is harder it will mark up your dies(you will find this out when you resize a regular brass case) and it will split easier. I now only use it when I load my 270 Win using the Lee collet dies. Since the collet dies grips the case the nickel will not mark up the die.

7. EddieHarren

EddieHarren Well-Known Member

Since dies are normally harder than barrels, why doesn't the "evil" nickel plating scratch chambers?