NF vs. Mark lV Leupold

JPB24

How does the Leupold compare to the NF.. Thinking about the 5.5x22 vs. the 6.5x20 Leupold...

In the past I had a NF and it was a good scope but heavy and large..

If the M4's adjustments are as reliable it might get the nod this time...

This is going on a coyote rifle and the max range will probably be under 800 yds.

I sure would appreciate any help or comment as the the reliability of the Leupold as compared to the NF.. I know the repair service of Leupold would be hard to match by anybody. How does the NF stand up in that regard ?

Thanks !

I have a 6.5x20x50 Mark 4 on my LR rifle and am thinking of changing not to a NF but to the VX-6 3x18 so I have better close range use at the same weight.
Both have excellent warranty

FWIW:
I've had both in the past. Only MK4's now.
NF was ok, just over priced and heavy.

Honestly I have not used the Mark 4. I find NF to be amazing but pricey and I personally feel better for a target rifle because they usually are pretty heavy. That being said Optics Planet has the Zeiss Conquest in 6.5-20 starting at $699 for dealer demo's (Being replaced the with HD5) and you cannot beat that optic at that price. You may also want to consider the new HD5 (Comparable price to the mark 4 6.5-20, but it's a 5-25 magnification, so you get a bit wider field of view at close range and a bit more magnification.

I have quite a bit of time behind both of these scopes and for my uses, I'll pick NF. I've not had hardly any problems with the Leupolds, I think they are reliable scopes and get the job done nicely. But I appreciate the built quality of the NF and feel of the adjustments over the Leupold. Glass quality to my eyes is equal, this is a 6.5-20X50 Leupold compared to a 3.5-15X50 NXS. I couldn't tell much difference between the two at all. Even still, optics aren't everything so that isn't the only consideration I put into purchasing a new scope. I still have my Mark 4's and will probably buy more as I have a need for them. But if I have the choice between the NF and the Leupold and $$$ isn't a factor, the NF will probably get the pick.

Geb

I have both NXS and Mk4s. The Mk4s are better scopes overall and are my preferred scopes over any other out their, regardless of price.
The Mk4s are lighter, their adjustments are in true MOA(NXS isn't) and repeatable, and the Alumina flip-ups are great. You can also get Mk4s through the custom shop with/without options. Get em through the custom shop no matter what, so you know humans have actually looked at it.
Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 LR/T M1 Long Range Tactical Riflescopes Personalized by Leupold Custom Shop FREE S&H 54690, 60070. Leupold Custom Rifle Scopes.

The warranty is excellent for either. The glass is identical. I like NF reticle selection better.

I have found that there is little difference between the two under normal lighting conditions. I would give the edge to the NXS under low light, hazy conditions in optical clarity. MOA accuracy is comparable.

I've recently purchased 3 Mark 4 LR/T M1's. I have the 4.5-14, the 6.5-20, and the 8.5-25. and every one of them has been excellent for several of the reasons already stated. Each of them has the TMR reticle. I plan to send the 4.5-14 in for the new MOA reticle just to give it try. I think the newest Mark 4s are extremely clear, especially in twilight. I get the Mil discount so the cost is considerably less than the NF of comparable feature. The Leupold does not have a mechanical zero stop available like the NF, however for $1000+ less for the cost of the scope I will go through the trouble of making zero stops with o-rings or nylon spacers if it's really needed.

I've recently purchased 3 Mark 4 LR/T M1's. I have the 4.5-14, the 6.5-20, and the 8.5-25. and every one of them has been excellent for several of the reasons already stated. Each of them has the TMR reticle. I plan to send the 4.5-14 in for the new MOA reticle just to give it try. I think the newest Mark 4s are extremely clear, especially in twilight. I get the Mil discount so the cost is considerably less than the NF of comparable feature. The Leupold does not have a mechanical zero stop available like the NF, however for $1000+ less for the cost of the scope I will go through the trouble of making zero stops with o-rings or nylon spacers if it's really needed.
So you are getting them for 800.00?

I think that the Mk4 line are solid scopes. As with most Leupold products, however, the price of a Mk4 seems high by about 20% compared with competing products. Some of that goes to the cost of the warrantee, but a lot of it is just advertising cost.

With respect to optical performance, Mk4 and NXS scopes are in a somewhat different class. The Mk4s use a simple doublet achromatic objective lens, while the NXSs use a triplet apochromatic objective lens. Consequently, the NXS has better resolution at high elevation/windage settings, where the Mk4 suffers a noticeable loss of resolution above about 25 MOA. The NXS series were designed to offer large elevation settings, so this objective design is an important advantage. It's one reason NXS scopes cost as much as they do. At low elevation/windage settings, both scopes have similar optical performance.

I think that the Mk4 line are solid scopes. As with most Leupold products, however, the price of a Mk4 seems high by about 20% compared with competing products. Some of that goes to the cost of the warrantee, but a lot of it is just advertising cost.

With respect to optical performance, Mk4 and NXS scopes are in a somewhat different class. The Mk4s use a simple doublet achromatic objective lens, while the NXSs use a triplet apochromatic objective lens. Consequently, the NXS has better resolution at high elevation/windage settings, where the Mk4 suffers a noticeable loss of resolution above about 25 MOA. The NXS series were designed to offer large elevation settings, so this objective design is an important advantage. It's one reason NXS scopes cost as much as they do. At low elevation/windage settings, both scopes have similar optical performance.

At a recent sniper shoot horrible haze conditions I had the opportunity to see the very noticeable difference in the optical quality between the NXS and Mark 4 scopes compared to ATACR. What have they done to the optics to achieve this?

I like the knobs on my nf. I love the magnification adjustment and reticle on the nf. On the mark 4 I like the price, weight, and aluma covers. But I find the sightron s3 or maybe the new sightron stac will cover everything for under a grand

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.