Newby with 3 rifles - 300win, 30-06, 243 ackley

BLD

My goal is to work my way into 3 1000yd + rifles for target/coyote/whitetail/mule deer.

The 300 win mag and 30-06 are both Win Model 70 classic stainless w/boss. 300 has been bedded, 30-06 has not. I have been using the following in each rifle.

300 win mag w/leopold VXIII 4.5-14x
165gr Sierra Game King (moly coated)
IMR4350 - 75.5gr - 3190fps
Fed match grade primers
Remington cartridges
This rifle produces:
100yds - .750"
200yds - 2.50"
300yds - 5.00"
400yds - 8.50"

30-06 w/B&L Elite 4200 6-24x
165gr Sierra Game King (moly coated)
H414 - 59.0gr - 2900fps
Fed match grade primers
Remington Cartridges
This rifle produces:
100yds - .750"
200yds - 2.75"
300yds - 3.75"
400yds - 12"+

243 Ackley is a rifle I just got and have only shot it once. It was built on a rem 700 action with a heavy fluted barrel. Composite stock w/aluminum/glass bed.
Scope - older Lyman perma-center 20x

I have used 107gr Sierra Match King
did not have my crony the day I shot it but it did produce an occasional group of .5" at 100yds. Other groups up to 1.50" (bench rest)

Can you guy's recommend if I am looking in the wrong direction or do I have something I can work with?

I am purchasing a leica 1200yd range finder (recommend?) and will be able to shoot up to and over 1000yds.

I have all of the reloading equipment I believe I need to do it, now I need some good direction and patience on my wife's part.

The cartriges are cleaned, sized, flash holes chamfered, ready to prime and load.

Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!

BLD,

For coyotes, you need a load that will hold a 4" group at what ever range you choose to shoot.

The problem is, if you shoot a coyote inside of 300 yards with most large bores, that coyote is going to run hard with any parts still attached to him. I won't count a kill on anything I don't touch. Coyotes that run, can take a while to find.

Try trading off the deer bullets for match grade bullets. Better accuracy, and at longer ranges, they tend to be more terminally efficient.

BLD

Something is not quite right with your load if you have 3/4" groups at 100 and 8.5" at 400. Given it is not you.

I think you will find that the 180-210 gr bullets in the 300 win will give you more what you want. Second in the 300 win try H4831..

The boss system allows you to tune your load and the ones I have had would normally do much better by 50% at 400.

Bed the 30'06 first and have gunsmith clean up and adjust triggers on both.

On the 243 AI, what twist is it? You really need a fast twist for the 105s, try JLK/Berger 90s.

Good luck

BH

Thanks for the input guys, I have wondered about the heavier bullets for the 300. Does bullet weight affect the bullets efficiency at long ranges both in trajectory and penatration? Which brand/model bullet do you recommend? I will try the powder you recommended. The 243AI has a fast twist, I am just not sure exactly what it is, but I will find out at the end of this month. The triggers have both been worked on and the bedding material will be here soon.
Thanks again!

Sierra 190 MKs, Berger 190, JLK 190

In the 243 AI try any of the 105-107 vlds if you have the fast twist, but do not be afraid to try the 95s also.

Jay,
On the 6mm with short throat, the Berger and JLKs have shorter bearing surfaces and have to be seated out in the necks many times compared to the sierra line of bullets,if your gun was throated for sierras, which many smiths do unless you say otherwise.

If you want a custom bullet with a longer bearing surface, check on Clinch River bullets, Gregs bullets have a longer bearing surface, but not quite as long as the sierras.

BH

BLD, I've tried Berger 95gr VLDs right up against the lands in my factory 6mm Rem. (Suggested by Walt Berger)1in9and1/8 twist and got groups of .354 and .359 @100yds(5 shots)and got some nice groups @200 yds just working up a load, the secret to the VLD bullet is to put it right up against the lands. I would e-mail Walt Berger @[email protected] and see what he thinks, but you have to know what your twist is, hopefully you have a shorter throat than my 6mm, cuz the bullet is only hanging on by .040" Good Luck, Jay

My thoughts are go to a poly tip bullet like the Hornady SST and Nosler BT. Much higher BC and very good expansion performance when slowed down.

For the 300WM, I would consider H4831SC 165 or 180gr SST lit by CCI BR2 or Fed 215M (you will have to test which works better).

For the 30-06, I can suggest my load which is H4350, CCI BR2 and 165gr SST. Very accurate out to long range.

For the 243Ackley, go with an extruded extreme powder that is suitable like H4831 and CCI BR2 primers. I really like the 87gr Vmax. Another great choice would be the 105gr amax.

I try not to use surplus ball powder when possible as they tend to be temp sensitive and can string (WC872 H870 seem to be pretty stable). Have had excellent results with the hodgdon line of extreme powders and would be my first choice.

If your rifles are capable of shooting MOA at long range, then you have 1000yd capable hunting rifles in you WM, 700yd in your '06.

The 243AK should stay inside a clay pigeon Use these to practise with for your LR coyote ventures.

Jerry

Guy's I cannot say enough how much I appreciate your input. Your suggestions will be put to good use! There aren't too many things I like to do more than shoot but when I am heading in the wrong direction it makes it harder to enjoy. Your input seems to be narrowing my focus.
Thank You again!

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.