newbie with some questions about the best load for a 300wm ????

brianbenham

I have bow hunted most of my life and I am want to start trying some long range rifle hunting I'll be going to Southern Utah this year on a Mule Deer hunt and want to know what the best load is for a ruger m77 mark II 300wm. the scope I have with the gun is a Leupold 3-9x40mm vari-x II. I have talked with Leupold and im going to have them install windage and elevation turrets on my scope. but before they can custom design the turrets they need to know what the specs on my cartridge are. So I want to start trying different loads to see what I like. Can someone give me some info on what load works best for you? The rifling twist for the standard model on ruger's website Say's it is 1:10. If you need more info let me know thanks.

Brian, I'm not an expert by an means. I shoot a Rem. 700, 300 win mag. After trying many different loads, I find my gun really likes the Berger 168 VLD with Ramshot Mag. The velocity is 3170 w/84.5 gr. Good luck.
Tim G

Brain,
I shoot a remington710 300 win.mag
the load I have found the works best for me is.
75gr of H4831sc with rem brass fed primers and 180 hornady sst, nosler ballistic tip and serria games kings.
all 3 of the leads shot very well.
the H4831sc is a good powder and isn't temp sinsative.

if you use this set up it is not a compressed shot.and let me know how it works in your stick

Big

i think you can get a knob cheaper from kenton industries. i have hunted in utah. i have several 300 win mags. all have muzzle brakes and all have 6.5X20 power scopes. the last time we went to utah we shot a lapua brass, 165 baltip and 71.0 grains of I-4350. we only planned on shooting out to 5 or 600 yards. for 600 yards and over i would use a 180-210 and a WHOLE BUNCH of re-22. roninflag

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.