Newbie want to learn how to shoot

elkslayer54

Howdy, My name I Bill, I grew up in NM, I love to shoot long ranges, But I do not really, like you guys know how to do it, my furthest (sp) was a cow elk app 925-950yds took me three shots the finally hit her, I want to know how you guys do it, I mean know the distance, how to adjust for the wind not just guess, I have been shooting kentucky windage all of my life made some great shots, But I really want to know I can make a shot, Not just guess right about there boom. You guys have the skills to do that. I just would like some pointers to learn how to REALLY know how to shoot far.

This Dec I went on a cow hunt saw a calf I guess 525 pulled over her about 16" and smoked her. Lucky maby but under 500yds I am prettty lucky on game animals, I dont shoot moving animals and if one is running I can't hit the side of a barn.

PS I shoot a 300 RUM hand loads 180gr CT partitions, I can one hole with this gun, off of a bench. It is free floated, crowned, steel bedded, 2 lb trigger, It has a Leupold Vari x III 6.5 x 20 AO.

I am not a troll, I do not want to strat a ****ing match with anyone, If you can't be nice please do not respond to my questions. I just would like to learn from folks who are good at long range shooting. like I said I can hold my own but most of it is knowing my balistics chart and guessing, elk are a big animal so pin point is not a total necessity, for me all I have to do is get one of my handloads in an 18x18 square. This is where you all come in, what should I do to get the pin point accuracy from 400 yds to 1200 yds. I have been reading this forum for years, Good grouper seems to be real good and gives good advice as well as alot of others here. Looking foreward to heasring from you all. Thanks in advance Bill

The quickest way to get started is to get a laser rangefinder and put finger adjustable turrets on your scope (or buy a scope with them already on), Chronograph your load and get a ballpark drop chart from one of the web-based ballistic calculators. You can do a search here and find links to several different ones. Then it's a matter of getting out and proofing your dropchart making adjustments where necessary and getting in a whole lot of practice. Reading wind is more of an art than science, just gotta throw lead and pay attention untill you get the hang of it (easier said than done). Lurking around here and reading alot will also put you well on your way.

when you get your rangefinder get the best you can afford, remember a good rule to go by what they are rated for cut in half for regular yardage. Example yardage pro 1000 will give you 500 yard non reflective reading consistently. Seems the higher end models do better than that. Save and try to get swarvo, leica or newcon in my opinion

elkstalker will do.

I am a little nervous about moving the turrets on the scope, Is Leupold a good scope to adjust (move for elevation and windage) and come back to the original setpoint? I know I need to do this with my scope, but it is scary to move a scope that has been one holeing for years, I just do not want to mess it up. I know when I grab my rifle it is on!:eek:

Also I live in Florida and I hunt iin NM and CO, How will the elevation effect my rifle?

The easiest way to answer your elevation question is to tell you to go online and download one of the ballistic calculators and play around with it and elevation. I live in colorado and dont really worry about elevation change that much. I am not sure about your scope being set up to go back to zero, you might have to have some yardage knobs put on it but I think Leupolds are about as good as any other if they are set up correctly, hope this helps. I also shoot a 300 RUM and love the gun, its the only rifle I use for big game

Elkstalker I love my 300 RUM, that thing flat takes the wind out of them elk. Bang flop. My 300 is my baby. If I could only have one rifle it would be that one. Thanks for the info I will play with it and see what it says,

Linksmechanic I have a Vari x III 6.5 x 20 AO, I guess we will see what happens when I move it to see how well it tracks. Thanks for the info Gentlemen. Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.