Newbie want to learn how to shoot

elkslayer54

Howdy, My name I Bill, I grew up in NM, I love to shoot long ranges, But I do not really, like you guys know how to do it, my furthest (sp) was a cow elk app 925-950yds took me three shots the finally hit her, I want to know how you guys do it, I mean know the distance, how to adjust for the wind not just guess, I have been shooting kentucky windage all of my life made some great shots, But I really want to know I can make a shot, Not just guess right about there boom. You guys have the skills to do that. I just would like some pointers to learn how to REALLY know how to shoot far.

This Dec I went on a cow hunt saw a calf I guess 525 pulled over her about 16" and smoked her. Lucky maby but under 500yds I am prettty lucky on game animals, I dont shoot moving animals and if one is running I can't hit the side of a barn.

PS I shoot a 300 RUM hand loads 180gr CT partitions, I can one hole with this gun, off of a bench. It is free floated, crowned, steel bedded, 2 lb trigger, It has a Leupold Vari x III 6.5 x 20 AO.

I am not a troll, I do not want to strat a ****ing match with anyone, If you can't be nice please do not respond to my questions. I just would like to learn from folks who are good at LR shooting. like I said I can hold my own but most of it is knowing my balistics chart and guessing, elk are a big animal so pin point is not a total necessity, for me all I have to do is get one of my handloads in an 18x18 square. This is where you all come in, what should I do to get the pin point accuracy from 400 yds to 1200 yds. I have been reading this forum for years, Good grouper seems to be real good and gives good advice as well as alot of others here. Looking foreward to heasring from you all. Thanks in advance Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.