Newbie to long range

monkiejohnson

Hi All,
I am currently in the process of piecing together a intro long range rifle on a budget. i would like to get everything figured out before i start buying. I am going to go with the Savage Model 110 FCP HS Precision .338 Lapua Mag as my rifle andAADMOUNT Triple Lug Rings for my scope base. I would like to find a decent 1000yrd mil dot scope for around 500-600!!! If that is even possible, please give your opinions. i have compared lots of scopes and i am starting to get a little frustrated.

Thanks in advance,
David J

I use the elite 4200T 6-24x50 on my 338 edge, great scope between $5-600, vortex viper is suppose to be good at about 450. If you can get it up to 7-800 you have the vortex pst and sightron sIII-lr. If it were me and I did not do one of those I would drop back down to a swfa fixed power SS with quad reticle at around $300. Optics are the biggest pain to shop for. Research carefully and buy skeptically as it is the most important component of you system and the easiest one to get wrong.

Welcome!

If you can call the store Mgr. ahead of time and set up an outdoor test for 15 min after sundown with your 3 best choices it will save you a bunch of regrets. Been there done it!gun)
Good luck.

Not to contradict t3 but just adding a follow up thought: Glass is important but tracking is paramount in long range and impossible to test before purchase so buy something you have studied up on.

he means being able to dial for elevation or windage, up or down, left or right and back. with the same results each time.(click values and returning to zero), (reliable tracking).

another vote for sightron.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts