Newbie needs help with 7mm stw

Swovay696

Hi new to the forum. Been reading alot online trying to learn as much as I can about long range hunting, and reloading. I usually read posts on this forum the most, so I thought I'd join.
Anyway, I picked up this Remington 40x in 7mm STW at a gun show about a year ago. It came with Zeiss conquest, dies, about 100 reloads, and about 300 empty brass. Being new to precision shooting, but not new to hunting, I've only shot it about 5 times, and managed sub moa groups which I thought was good considering I haven't shot alot. Anyways I'd like to know what reloads I have, and can't figure it out. I've attached a few images of gun, bullet, and load data. It looks like 125 grain stuske. It looks like the cursive my grandparents use, and I can't read that **** ha. If anybody could help me out, I would appreciate it dearly. Love the forum, and knowledge.
Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_20170209_144443242.jpg
    IMG_20170209_144443242.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_20170209_144434789.jpg
    IMG_20170209_144434789.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20170209_144423538.jpg
    IMG_20170209_144423538.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 134
Looks like:

125 grain Stuske (never heard of that brand before, Google search didnt turn up anything either)
76 grains of 4831 SC
Fed 215 primer

Also, those bullets look a lot longer and heavier than a 125 grains... So, I'd probably pull one and weigh it. And also would weigh the powder charge separate, too. If you get unknown reloads, it's best to reverse-engineer one of them to see what you're working with.

I believe the bullet is "Starke". I remember reading about them a long time ago. On this forum I think. Funny thing is the bullet is coated blue which Barnes use to do with their X-bullets. So I'm not sure there.

4831 for sure. A little fast by today's standards.

Fed 215 primer probably.

3267, 3330, 3467. Probably velocities. If so I'd scrap that load, pull the bullets, dump the powder, consider starting over with new primers and work up a load with some more modern components.

If at all possible I'd check the barrel twist before you start buying bullets.

I believe the bullet is "Starke". I remember reading about them a long time ago. On this forum I think. Funny thing is the bullet is coated blue which Barnes use to do with their X-bullets. So I'm not sure there.

4831 for sure. A little fast by today's standards.

Fed 215 primer probably.

3267, 3330, 3467. Probably velocities. If so I'd scrap that load, pull the bullets, dump the powder, consider starting over with new primers and work up a load with some more modern components.

If at all possible I'd check the barrel twist before you start buying bullets.

Yep! That's exactly what I'd do.

The "Starke" is the only part I couldn't read. I didn't want to scrap the loads, but in the back of my mind, I figured that would be best. Start over that way I know what I have. I'll see what other opinions come up. Thanks!

The barrel is a 26" 1-9 twist. I mainly want to use it for fun at the range, and long range varmint shots. The better I get the further I want to shoot. I don't want to shoot it alot because I've read the STW can go through barrels pretty quick. I have a 223 Axis for practice. Whit that said, anybody have any load recommendations that are easier on barrel life, but good for long range varments. I've got a Sierra load manual, but the more info, and the more I learn is always better. Thanks again

The barrel is a 26" 1-9 twist. I mainly want to use it for fun at the range, and long range varmint shots. The better I get the further I want to shoot. I don't want to shoot it alot because I've read the STW can go through barrels pretty quick. I have a 223 Axis for practice. Whit that said, anybody have any load recommendations that are easier on barrel life, but good for long range varments. I've got a Sierra load manual, but the more info, and the more I learn is always better. Thanks again

For that I would look into something in the 120 to 140gr range for bullets. Sierra and Hornady make a few varmint specific bullets for smaller calibers. Maybe Nosler too? Not sure about in 7mm though.

If you wanted to try to save barrel life I would maybe try to find a load on the light side of the charge range with a slow burning powder like H1000/R25/R26/7828 or the like. I have no idea how much doing that will or won't save you in the end though. Not hot-rodding it for max velocity and keeping your shooting strings short will help the most.

9 twist allows you to shoot up to 180gr bullets. So you could use the rifle for big game as well. And I would guess that most big game in N. America wouldn't like a 140gr anything in the boiler room. Deer for sure. Elk or bear I would bump up to 168-180 just because.

For that I would look into something in the 120 to 140gr range for bullets. Sierra and Hornady make a few varmint specific bullets for smaller calibers. Maybe Nosler too? Not sure about in 7mm though.

If you wanted to try to save barrel life I would maybe try to find a load on the light side of the charge range with a slow burning powder like H1000/R25/R26/7828 or the like. I have no idea how much doing that will or won't save you in the end though. Not hot-rodding it for max velocity and keeping your shooting strings short will help the most.

9 twist allows you to shoot up to 180gr bullets. So you could use the rifle for big game as well. And I would guess that most big game in N. America wouldn't like a 140gr anything in the boiler room. Deer for sure. Elk or bear I would bump up to 168-180 just because.
That's really too light for the STW, particularly the 120's. You're getting into .220 Swift speeds there and that's a real waste of the STW.

The BC's on the lighter bullets are so poor you're pretty well limiting yourself to 300-400yds to maintain any kind of accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts