Newbie here looking into longrange shooting

Rocky mountain boy

Just got into longrange hunting last fall. Was lucky and got a 6x6 bull elk at 550yds now i'm hooked on the longrange stuff. i've got a 300 rum and loaded 210gn bergers i got a 14 3/8" group at 1000yds would like to improve that. What scope do you people recommend for at least a 1000yds? Also what mods to my rifle other than my jewell trigger and it was bedded full length from the recoil lug forward. Thinking i should get rid of that and bed from lug back to receiver bolts. Everything else is factory.

Just got into longrange hunting last fall. Was lucky and got a 6x6 bull elk at 550yds now i'm hooked on the longrange stuff. i've got a 300 rum and loaded 210gn bergers i got a 14 3/8" group at 1000yds would like to improve that. What scope do you people recommend for at least a 1000yds? Also what mods to my rifle other than my jewell trigger and it was bedded full length from the recoil lug forward. Thinking i should get rid of that and bed from lug back to receiver bolts. Everything else is factory.

I think I would rather see the barrel floating too. Optics need to be clear and repeatable not necessarily high power. Fine cross hairs so they don't cover the target. Sounds like you are on the right track. May need to tweek the load with seating depth to find a better node.

Steve

Well as you know you can shoot for miles at big hole and now there's so many people there from up north that it's getting to be more of a long range game. Too many people including the ranchers there try flinging lead way out there just getting the elk all excited for nothing. I've really gotten interested in long range and would like to build my 300 to be better and also would like to build a target gun yet this summer. I guess i'm willing to spend a few thousand to make my rifle better. I just like to hear as much input from as many people as i can.

Well as you know you can shoot for miles at big hole and now there's so many people there from up north that it's getting to be more of a long range game. Too many people including the ranchers there try flinging lead way out there just getting the elk all excited for nothing. I've really gotten interested in long range and would like to build my 300 to be better and also would like to build a target gun yet this summer. I guess i'm willing to spend a few thousand to make my rifle better. I just like to hear as much input from as many people as i can.

Where do you live? Everybody hates on the guys from up north. Years ago I took the 7 off my plates.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts