Newbie from the Big Sky Country

FEENIX

Greetings to all! My name is Ed from Great Falls, MT. I stumbled through this website by accident earlier this month and all I can say if "WOW" and wished I have known about it earlier … learned so much already.

Being a retired USAF, I was fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to hunt everything I can get my hands on in wonderful states such as CA (well almost :D), AZ, NM, and now MT (my new home since 2003) during my active duty days.

The longest shot I've ever taken was on an antelope hunt (harvested a nice doe) at just a tad over 400 yards with a .300 WM. On most of my hunts, I try to keep it less than 200 yards (my comfort zone at this time). It's no where near what most of you are capable but that it is my long range hunting thus far … I need to work harder on it :).

More to follow. Regards to all!

V/R

Ed

Last edited:
Welcome to Long Range Hunting Ed.

My wife has relatives in Great Falls and I know a gunsmith that lives somewhere just west of you in the Fort Shaw area.:)

Thanks for joining us and now that we know you're here we'll be expecting some posts and pictures from you.:)

Dick,

Cool! If you're referring to Kirby Allen (APS), that is how I ran across this website when I was doing research on muzzle brakes. He doesn't know it yet, unless he sees this posting, that I plan on stopping by ... and hopefully soon.:)

Cheers!

Ed

Just hang a right, go down about a half mile and pull up in front of his shop. And, before you get out, take your billfold out, place it in the glovebox and lock it. Do not take it in with you or you'll be hooked good.

On second thought, you might as well take your billfold in because you're gonna use it anyway if you talk to him.:)

I can guarantee you it will be a good talk and a great investment of your money. Kirby and APS are as good as it gets.:)

Hi Muledeer270 from Idaho,my longest shot on a big game animal was an cow elk, at 400 yds, using a Model 70 in 243 caliber Tasco 4 power scope, and sighted dead on at 25 yds, knew the trajectory of this load so was very confident on hitting the cow, my friend Les Nicholson was backing me up with his Remington 700 in 7mm Magnum 4x16x40 bushnell scope, no need to the cow dropped at the shot, 100 grain factory core-lockt

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.