Newbie from NOVA, suppressor question

max65

hi,
new to this forum as an active member. Long time lurker and found a lot of discussions and info very valuable.
Been hunting wild game for the last 15years, statewide & Europe. Seen some similarities, as well as differences.
Pref caliber is 6.5CM, but also use .243 & .308. Believe in European rifle manufacturers, hence my selections are Sauer, Merkel & Steyr. Good barrels, good actions, trigger & safety, overall good quality. Optics vary: Vortex, Meopta & ZCO ( buy once, cry once ).
Suppressor is a TBAC Ultra 7 .30cal.
Been contemplating to thread my .243 in order to use the suppressor. Suppressor is DT 5/8. Unfortunately my .243 does not allow a 5/8 thread, too thin. Maybe 9/16, but very marginal, would not leave a lot for a shoulder. So I guess I will thread it to 1/2x28 and use a step-up adapter ( 1/2x28-5/8x24 )
A lot of people say 1/2x28 thread is not enough for .243 or a .30 suppressor. But usually these people make this argument with shooting hundreds of rounds through it at a time. That would not be my intent. Intention is for hunting, a round or two max at a time. I just like to avoid buying another dedicated suppressor for my .243 rifle. Any thoughts, experience with same/similar issue, suggestions, doable yes/no, suck it up and buy another can?
Cheers from VA, Waidmannsheil

hi,
new to this forum as an active member. Long time lurker and found a lot of discussions and info very valuable.
Been hunting wild game for the last 15years, statewide & Europe. Seen some similarities, as well as differences.
Pref caliber is 6.5CM, but also use .243 & .308. Believe in European rifle manufacturers, hence my selections are Sauer, Merkel & Steyr. Good barrels, good actions, trigger & safety, overall good quality. Optics vary: Vortex, Meopta & ZCO ( buy once, cry once ).
Suppressor is a TBAC Ultra 7 .30cal.
Been contemplating to thread my .243 in order to use the suppressor. Suppressor is DT 5/8. Unfortunately my .243 does not allow a 5/8 thread, too thin. Maybe 9/16, but very marginal, would not leave a lot for a shoulder. So I guess I will thread it to 1/2x28 and use a step-up adapter ( 1/2x28-5/8x24 )
A lot of people say 1/2x28 thread is not enough for .243 or a .30 suppressor. But usually these people make this argument with shooting hundreds of rounds through it at a time. That would not be my intent. Intention is for hunting, a round or two max at a time. I just like to avoid buying another dedicated suppressor for my .243 rifle. Any thoughts, experience with same/similar issue, suggestions, doable yes/no, suck it up and buy another can?
Cheers from VA, Waidmannsheil
I recently saw where someone would thread a sporter profile barrel where there would not be enough shoulder for the suppressor then they would thread on a larger piece and blend the backend into the barrel and put a larger thread and shoulder on the rest. You could do this if you understand what I'm trying to explain.

Welcome from Tennessee. I have done a little reading on suppressing a Sporter barrel. It's possible, but I haven't jumped in yet. I will probably just keep shooting my 5/8x24 threaded barrels with the Ultra 7 and decide what to do with the Sporter down the road. The Sporter barrel 308 still gets use in hilly thick woods, but ear pro goes with me.

I recently saw where someone would thread a sporter profile barrel where there would not be enough shoulder for the suppressor then they would thread on a larger piece and blend the backend into the barrel and put a larger thread and shoulder on the rest. You could do this if you understand what I'm trying to explain.
Interesting, I have neither heard or seen this technique. Thanks for the suggestion
cheers

Welcome from Tennessee. I have done a little reading on suppressing a Sporter barrel. It's possible, but I haven't jumped in yet. I will probably just keep shooting my 5/8x24 threaded barrels with the Ultra 7 and decide what to do with the Sporter down the road. The Sporter barrel 308 still gets use in hilly thick woods, but ear pro goes with me.
TBAC offers an adjustment for just this issue. Costly!!!!
Really trying to find out if the occasional .243 shot through a .30cal suppressor, sitting on a 1/2x28 thread, is like going into the forbidden garden, it being careless, dangerous, an absolute NoGo. Don't even know the implications regarding the harmonics, big suppressor on thin barrel. Might be not even worth it after all!!!!!
Cheers

Thanks, that might be the way to go. Any idea how much this costs?
cheers
No. I was watching the vid for the Banish Backcountry supressor and noticed the sporter threading he did at the end.

You can contact then on their wesite at:
https://ultimatereloader.com/rifles/

If you get some info, please let us know. I ordered a Banish supressor and might like to put it on a sporter barrel too!