Newbie and optics

Sinko

Okay I'll make it simple. Having my first what I call longer range gun built. It's a 284 win on a long action 700 rem with a 26" #5 Brux.... It's carry friendly and I don't want anything over 4x on the lower end of the magnification. Budget is $1000 or so. Looked at the Vortex Viper pst ll, Nikon FX 1000, SWFA, Leupold VX5, even considered the Nightforce SHV F1 although it is above budget. Also looking at the Burris line. I'd really appreciate feedback and suggestions.

Thanks

Vx5hd if it's going to be a hunting
Gun. Low light is best I've seen, and glass clarity is very very good. Turrets track well. I've shot out to 1200 yards with my 3-15x56 so the 15 power is more than adequate for 1000+ yards.

And it only weighs 20 oz in the 44mm

I have had excellent luck with my Lucid Optics 4-16 x44 rifle scope and also the same company makes a 6-24x50. I hunt antelope and deer with the 4-16 and love bench work with the 6-24. They both have beautiful glass and I use both for long range (up to 1000yd). Lucid Optics has a lifetime guarantee which seems to really say a lot about the company.

When you said "carry friendly" to me you narrow it to the 3-15x44 VX5HD. I have a 44mm VX6HD and it's nice. I also had the nightforce shv F1 and its a bigger heavy scope.

Haven't touched the other ones you're looking at myself to have an opinion.

Take a look at the Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42 also. Great glass, two solid reticle options and 16.5oz. I have the 2-10 and love it.

Also, if you're not in a hurry and don't mind MILs, GA Precision has another order of Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18 scopes inbound. For $750 you can't beat the value.

Bushy elite
Burris XTR2
Nightforce SHV
Those would be my choices, and not in that particular order.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.