Newbie and First 7mm STW

bushwackr

Hello Everyone my name is Josh,

I ordered my first 7mm caliber rifle I have ever had. I ordered a Rem 700 sps 7mm Stw with the factory brake and a bigger barrel from buds gun. Hopefully it will ship today. I am brand new to the 7's , I have shot numerous others 300 wm,300 ultra, 270wsm, 243,6xc etc.

I dont know much about it yet, but I plan to read some more here

That sounds good I will post up some pics as soon as I get it up and running. Now just the battle to find brass

You can buy Nosler 8mm RemMag brass and run it through a 7mm STW full-length sizing die and out pops 7mm STW brass. You can buy Nosler 8mm RemMag brass from Midway USA right now.

Its that easy to make the brass. I called sinclair and they told me that redding has a from and trim die to make 257, and 7 stw brass. I am still confused on how one die can made both sizes of brass and just file excess length off the top with a file.

The .257 STW is made from 7mm STW brass, they both share the same case length. The die has an open top where the neck pokes through and you run a file over it to trim it down to spec. That's why the die is listed as working for either one.

I have been thinking about buying one for my .25-06 Ackley.

So then what would be easier , running the 8mm thru the form & trim die and then size, or skip it and just run the 8 case thru the stw die and shoot? Is there an advantage to the from dies?

So then what would be easier , running the 8mm thru the form & trim die and then size, or skip it and just run the 8 case thru the stw die and shoot? Is there an advantage to the from dies?
Run the 8RM brass through the 7mm STW FL sizing die, load, and shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.