Looking to buy my first 7mm STW

walleyealx

I've been lurking for a bit and have made the decision to pick up a 7mm STW. I'm sure there are 8371204 other threads like this but I figured I would create one for me. From what I can tell I have a few options right now.

1. Buy a new 700 sps for $550ish synthetic/blue. Put a better stock on it, coat the metal, and maybe do some other minor things.

2. Buy a used one.

3. Buy a 700 stainless (sps or CDL) and have it rechambered.

I'm looking at a couple used ones right now. One is a Mark V blue/synthetic for $900 and another is a sendero that is at $1200 right now.

Would any of these be any more accurate than the others? They all have 26" barrels and are good manufacturers. The 700's are going to be a few hundred bucks cheaper, but will I be sacrificing anything/much?

I'm looking to spend less than $2k between the scope and the rifle so keep that into consideration. I know I'm not going to get a match grade gun for this amount but I would like a decent 7mm STW that I will use primarily for hunting. What would you guys choose? Also, would I need to shoot the 140's to really get my money's worth out of this round? I'd like to shoot 160 accubonds, but I will shoot the 140's if they are what legitimizes the round.

Any comments/suggestions are much appreciated.

Lots of opinions on how to go about a good 7stw.

My personal 7stw is a rem 700 action that was a LH adl (from back when they were polished too) that was converted to bdl and had a 10" twist 7mm barrel installed and chambered in 7mmstw. The previous owner installed a 3 position safety and worked on the trigger. I pillar bedded/ epoxy bedded the stock, replaced the rings/bases, and re-worked the trigger as the previous trigger job was sub par. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f126/fed-beast-124280/ My buck this year...

My father didn't jump through any hoops with his 7mmstw and simply bought a 700bld dm-b rifle when they were a factory option. It shoots 1/2 moa without any trouble and it a pussycat recoil wise. It was an easier decision then, as rem quality was good and you also had the m70 and mkv in 7mmstw if you didn't want to go rem.
Your options now are the sps, a cooper, rechambering a 7rem (need a la action here- actions such as the ruger 77 aren't long enough), and going custom/ semi custom. I'd personally either buy a used rem bdl dm-b, a sendero, the cooper, or semi custom. With your cost ceiling you are looking at either used or a semi-custom with rebarreling a rem 700 action and a laminate from boyds as likely options. I wouldn't re-chamber a 7rem unless the existing barrel is a known shooter but nearly new. Full custom and the cooper will leave you without scope as they cost too much already. The sps is shaky, one guy gets a good one, the next has to re-barrel to get a shooter.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...imes-westerner-88228/index558.html#post875336

I bought a Rem SPS in 7stw, added the stock, then did the action and barrel. If I was to do it over and bypass the 1 1/2 years of grief trying to make it shoot, I would buy a trued action from NW action works group buy they have going on, buy a barrel and the stock, and put it all together.
I think you can do it for 2K but you'll have to scrimp on the glass/rings/bases.

Yea, if I did it over just buy a Sps and have the action trued. Put on a sendero style barrel and buy a hs precision stock. Have it bedded and go to work. Save a ton from first buying the sendero then having it rebarrelled. Put the kreiger barrel on mine shoots like hell on wheels!!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.