Newbie and 300 RUM

400Bullelk

I posted this in handloading, but think I should post here as well:

Alright, new to this game, have a 300 RUM. Stock has been bedded, trigger work done. Scope is mounted. Final Finish was completed last weekend, and I have put a brake on it. I have just bought a bunch of reloading equipment and chrono. I have searched back a ways and gotten a load of load information. Where do I start? What do I look for? Thanks in advance.

Don.

Get a PAST recoil shoulder pad for the shoulder. Cost is about $30 and you simply put it on. Brownells, Midway etc all sell them.

You will find you will be a lot more comfortable from the bench and shoot much better.

BH

Hi there 400bullelk,

Quick question is the 400 actual or is it the dream /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Good moniker........

There are a lot of fellas using Retumbo, may be a good start. Link

You have a good start with the rifle, reloading equipment and Chrono. You'll be enjoying things. The brake will make life good. I do all my 338 RUM shooting prone and its a piece of cake. Ya gotta love those good brakes.

I'd start with these basic steps which you will repeat many times.

Resise the new brass.
Trim to length
Chamfer case mouths.
Worry about neck turning much later - if ever (you'll get arguments here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Pick a primer (Magnum of some manufacture)
Pick a load. I'd consider the one in the link, above.

Before loading consider ruining at least one case. It'll be worth it.

Take an odd ball unprimed case, if you sort by weight and a dermel tool with the cutter wheel. Make two cuts the length of the neck. This will give you a case that you may start a bullet into then chamber. If the neck tension is just right, when chambered with the bullet the bullet will be seated just touching the lead. This gives a good reference for carefully setting your seating die at a starting point.

As soon as you get a load that you like its time to start stretching the distance at gongs, rocks and random things.

The final step is a tag and a 400 bull.

HTH

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.