Newb from Indiana

jjgaw

New to the forum. Long time hunter here in Indiana but recently exposed to long range hunting when I started traveling out to Montana to hunt mule deer. The more I go out west the more I want to educate myself and upgrade my gear to become a long range hunter.

What kind of distance do you get to hunt at in Indiana? Never been there, myself. I hunt countryside very much like what you have likely experienced in Montana.
It's pretty uncommon to get a shot over 200 yards here. Most shots will happen within 100 yards due to the thick timber and rolling hills. I've shot deer as close at 10 feet here lol. I'd really like to get to a point where I feel comfortable taking a shot at a deer at 400 yards out west. That's probably not a far shot to most of you westerners lol.

I'm what I'd call a "mid-range shooter" compared to many on this site. I hunt in the 400 to 600 yard range, but feel very confident and capable at those distances. Some real long rangers here to learn from, though.

On average I take deer at around 300 to 350 and elk out to 600.

I'm what I'd call a "mid-range shooter" compared to many on this site. I hunt in the 400 to 600 yard range, but feel very confident and capable at those distances. Some real long rangers here to learn from, though.

On average I take deer at around 300 to 350 and elk out to 600.
I'm looking forward to getting to that point. Any one piece of advice that comes to mine?

Where to start!? Make sure that you have a quality range at your disposal and really, intimately get to know your gun at distance.

I limited my 3 sons to 200 yards while hunting for several years, until they demonstrated ownership of that distance. Now they are progressing out.

I would suggest the same to any shooter. Ownership and confidence at any distance is not the person who has never even shot at a given distance, then tries to pull off an ethical shot on an animal simply because they "think I can make it."

Find a good range - the longest you can get access to, and put in the trigger time to really get to know your rifle and your chosen ammunition.

Also, document everything in the beginning. You'll figure out what is really important to document as you go along.

Reading through these pages will give you access to incredible information and insight. Learn from some of the wonderful and truly gifted shooters and teachers here.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.