New tube for 300. Win mag 28" or 26"

matt_3479

Currently running a factory Remington 700 xcr tac in 300. Win mag that shot amazing and barrel is pretty much toast! Looking to throw a new tube on it and wondering if you boys prefer 28" or 26"? Rifle will be used for hunting on the back lakes and clear cuts. Not a ton of carrying will be done. When I do my long haul trips my 7mm mag comes with me.

If you're going aftermarket...And barrel weight and length is not a crucial factor, and it doesn't cost any extra for 28" vs. 26"...Might as well take the free FPS gain and go with the 28". :D

Well I bought the rifle cheap off a buddy as a build project but it shot so **** good with the 210vld's and the 215 hybrids I just left it alone. It got a high round count and could set back probably and go for another couple hundred but on a factory tube it just doesn't seem worth it. My benchmark barrel on the 260. Rem build this past summer has been treating me so well I figured I'll give them another go. Just couldn't decided on 26" or 28".

Sounds like your on the right track. I have a 300 Win Mag with a 26" Benchmark that shoots the 210 Bergers at 2920 fps with H4831sc. 28" should gain you 50-60 fps which would be very nice, or just split the difference!

I always err on the longer choice. I have 300WM barrels in 26", 28" and 30". The 30" is also the heaviest contour with a break installed. It started life as a non finished blank, still isn't. It shoots really good as is, so I put it on my LR rig, instead of my comp rig.
My choice would be the 28" barrel, if no carrying is warranted.

Cheers.
gun)

Currently running a factory Remington 700 xcr tac in 300. Win mag that shot amazing and barrel is pretty much toast! Looking to throw a new tube on it and wondering if you boys prefer 28" or 26"? Rifle will be used for hunting on the back lakes and clear cuts. Not a ton of carrying will be done. When I do my long haul trips my 7mm mag comes with me.
Who care what the "boys" prefer. Get the length you want!

I went with a 26" plus brake. PTG TAC MATCH REAMER with a extra 50 thou of free bore. Shoots the 215's right at 3000 fps with H1000. Brux barrel.

I went with a 26" plus brake. PTG TAC MATCH REAMER with a extra 50 thou of free bore. Shoots the 215's right at 3000 fps with H1000. Brux barrel.

Thats the same specs I choose. Still waiting on delivery. Glad I read your post.

I figured I would have the extra barrel weight in the fatter contour instead of the length. And the match chamber should allow me some extra powder capacity for velocity.

I went with a #3 BRUX. Skinnier than I expected; but shoots incredible. Rifle finishes at 10 lb 2oz on a Borden Timberline with a 5-20 SHV in a McMillan Game Scout. If it is the same reamer 30 thou off was a sweet spot. Load work up was 14 shots. Only shot that many because I started the powder charge low just to be safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.