New toy help please.

6mm06guy

Ok guys I'm on the fence here on several pieces, I have an itch to send some new .277 eol 170 over 3k for a new elk rifle.
I think I have settled on,
Defiance action
Pac Nor barrel
Unsure on the stock manners?
Nightforce 1000

The problem is the caliber. 270 weatherby or 27 nosler. I would love for the gun to be able to kill at 800+.
Any suggestions ?

Any weatherby guys or nosler guys have first hand knowledge on these calibers would be wonderful. Thanks in advance guys.

I have 270 Wby on Rem action got 26" Rock Creek barrel 1/10 twist. I live 7700ft here in Co so I can shoot the Berger 170gr if I want. I can get in the 3100fps range with Nosler 160gr Partition and 3200 with 150gr ABLR/Berger 150gr VLD.

I ran Berger twist on it and I can be down to 2900fps with 170gr and maybe this spring shoot few it to see. I have others rifles I hunting with so don't hunt with it every year and lot depends on what I draw tags for.

Thanks for the reply tom, that gives me a good base line. I would like to keep the velocity around 3000 if I can, do any of you think a 1-8 28" 270 bee would do that? Or bite the bullet on the crazy expensive 28 nosler brass and build on it.

Or am I over thinking the whole thing :)

If you want it in a true short action, the 270SS will make over 3000' with a 26" barrel and a 170 Berger. (probably even with a 24"). It is a wildcat of course so you have to form brass, but well worth it if you want short action 3000' performance with only 72 grain case capacity.......Rich

Personally I would go with a 7mm because of the wider selection of good bullets. 28 Nosler or one of the 7mm-300 magnum wildcats would get you the velocity you seek with 180 grain bullets. The only drawback to the Nosler is the cost of brass (as you know). A 7mm-300 Winchester magnum will be just a hair slower but brass is cheap and you can use 300 Win bushing dies. With the amount you're spending on a full custom gun I'd do the 28 nosler. 150 pieces of brass should last you the life of the barrel if you don't run it too hard. With 180 Hornady ELDs or 195 Bergers this caliber will maintain 1800+ fps beyond 1200 yards.

I have thought about going with the 28 Nosler a dozen times, but I don't own a single 7 millimeter cartridge and I own 5 different 27 calibers so I have an overabundance of bullets would like to get as many points of view on this as I can . The 28 Nosler will also do absolutely everything I want to do. In the end the right decision is probably going to be to buy a 28 Nosler and then build something in 27 caliber

Where's all the .277 guys at? I'm open to other wild cast as well. After a long talk with elkoholic last night the 270 ss sounds very promising as well.

I have a 270WSM on a Montana Rifle Co short action that is running the 170s EOL 3046fps out of a 26" Rock Creek 1/8 twist. I just have it broke in and it is shooting little bug holes with 68grs of Retumbo. The MRC has a box that is 3.125 long so I can seat the 170s at 3.120.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.