New to yote hunting, need tips for deep snow.

BitchinCamaro

This is the first year I've been fairly active in finding coyotes, and things were going well here in Central Utah until we got some heavy snow. There is about 3' of standing powder on the DWR lease where I've been gamecaming.

With this much snow, the deer are having a rough time getting down to graze, but there are still plenty of jackrabbits on the gamecams. I haven't seen any dog tracks in the snow for about a month, but I know that the area was thick with them only 2 months ago.

Do coyotes pick up and move out of areas entirely, or are they just holed up in the woods? Is there a winter strategy for drawing them out into a snowy field or do I just try to call them out like in fall?

Thanks for any advice.

Not that I am an expert coyote caller (I suck) but I do deal with lots of deep snow all winter.
They probably haven't left, but they will find it easier to move around in the thicker cedars and stuff where the snow isn't as deep, plus I would imagine some of the prey animals have also moved to areas with less snow in the woods.
Look for trails or areas that have a path packed down, from snowmobiles or something, or a wind swept creek bed. The dogs need to be able to get to the call, or at least close to it. 3 ft of fresh powder isn't easy moving for anybody.
We just got a decent dumping of snow, I will be going out tomorrow morning to see what's up.
There is a snowmobile trail that runs through a few of the properties I hunt, when the snow is soft the trails are covered in dog tracks. Once the snow hardens up they go back to going wherever they want. At least that's the way it seems to go for me up in Eastern Ontario.

No tracks means no coyotes. You need to go hunting to find what is going on. A really good coyote hunter needs really good boots. You will do more hiking than shooting to be effective on coyotes.
I live in Idaho now but I am from Utah.
PM me & I will send my phone # & we will chat.
Thanks, Kirk

In my neck of the woods when the snow gets serious I tend to find most coyotes hanging around where deer are wintering and also around cattle. My theory is that when the snow gets deep they follow their prey animals as they look for more shelter and food sources which often means heading down to lower elevation or at least to areas sheltered by vegetation, canyons etc. If you don't know where to look start by checking out the perimeter of cattle operations. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies, everyone. The deer and elk are still down here with their fawns- I almost hit more than a few on my drive tonight (as it was snowing again). There was a nice 7pt bull crossing the road too.

The area I've been scouting is about 1200 acres and I don't mind hiking every square inch of of it, I just literally don't have the experience to know what coyotes do when it snows like this. The area is walk-in only, so only snowshoes for me. I just don't want to be "hiking with a rifle" instead of hunting.

I'll plan a long walk through this weekend and see if I see any signs.

Kirk, I'll take you up on your offer but I usually work graveyard shift. I'll have a normal schedule by spring, and hopefully the snow will be manageable by then.

Last edited:
I've found that this time of year if you can hunt the morning after a snow storm when it's very cold and especially if it's overcast the coyotes seem to be very active. It's not that often that the perfect conditions coincide with a day off work but if it does, get out there and make it happen.

Someone on here smarter than me probably has a more scientific explanation but I think they often hunker down when it's snowing and blowing hard and by the time it lets up they're cold and starving and out looking for calories. Anyone else notice the same thing?

Yotes don't leave. They are territorial animals. After the storm passes they are out looking for grub. You are now tasked with sounding like grub! Leave the e-caller at home and go call em up

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.