New to long range shooting

I have to agree don't buy the crossfire, I have the crossfire and the vortex viper hs(I think...too many of these darned things) and there is a definite noticeable difference in clarity at higher zoom. On the viper I usually only crank it up to 12-18x, any higher and it starts to dim on me. Never had a high quality optic, but for the hunting and shooting i do i can live with it on the viper, the crossfire is not worth looking at.

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the new rifle! Long range hunting and shooting is addicting! I myself started as a regular ol hunter, archery and shotgun mainly due to my area, avid bass fisherman, and general love for the outdoors. Once I got into long range shooting I was hooked big time! I've invested years and thousands and just love it and look forward to the next time I get behind the trigger.

Congrats on the new rifle! I've spend a little amount of time behind the rpr 6.5 creed and it's truly a great factory rifle! My suggestion to you would be to drop the most money you can afford on a quality optic. There is nothing worth then trying to do this with a sub par optic. I understand being new we aren't expecting nightforce atacr, Schmidt and bender or razor HD II, but look into something like a vortex viper hst, pst gen II. The Nikon black force 6-24x50 are a heck of an optic for the money and would make a fantastic scope to learn on. The crossfire doesn't have what it takes. There are more then a few bushnells that would step up to the game but I'm not too familiar with bushnell so won't try to recommend anything. Best of luck

Hey thanks. I'm going try out a new vortex crossfire. The guys in my club who shoot long range use them. Just gonna get a bipod really excited. Like I said def not a rifle I would have just purchased. So I'm gonna enjoy it

Hey thanks. I'm going try out a new vortex crossfire. The guys in my club who shoot long range use them. Just gonna get a bipod really excited. Like I said def not a rifle I would have just purchased. So I'm gonna enjoy it

I highly recommend atleast stepping up into the diamond back tactical line. The crossfire doesn't have what it takes to be a decent long range optic! I don't want to be rude but I would also recommend to you to inform the guys at your club to step up in optics or take a second look cause the chance they are using crossfires is slim, maybe you miss read. For not much more you step into the diamond back tac line and it's... better and will be a decent start but highly recommend saving a few dollars while weather is still not great and getting something a little better. No point in buying 2,3 or 4 times and that's what you will be doing with a crossfire guaranteed.

Don't cheap out on glass for your free rifle. If it won't track or return to zero, or you can't see what you are looking at, it is a paperweight at best. If your "long range buddies" are shooting Vortex Crossfires.....well....

What do you consider "long range"? 400-600? A $500 scope is probably OK. But if you are turning turrets a lot, you need a proven track record scope. Clarity on target is not necessarily all you are looking at with good glass. It is seeing mirage waves, grass blades blowing, insects on the breeze @ 1000 yards, all to gauge wind, and therefore drift. What you can't see CAN hurt you.

Once you shoot 500, you will want to shoot 700, then 1000, then 1200, then 1500. It is addicting. Look through as many scopes as you can before dropping your coin on one. And not just at the local gun store. GO to the range. People who have never looked through a $1000 scope don't get it. And people who have never looked through and run a $2000 scope would never believe how much more you get when you step up. Yes, I am now a scope snob. But there ARE good scopes in the $500-1000 range. Buy used, and you can get $1000-1500+ quality in the same price range. Well worth it in my opinion.

I recently went shooting with a group of guys with a bunch of middle of the road ($500-1000) scopes. After shooting behind top tier glass, I could not ever go back. But when a couple of them looked through my scopes.....well....I think I burst their bubbles. So beware looking through true top tier glass. What you don't know, won't hurt you. Or haunt you.

Not saying a $350 scope is not sufficient for 90% of people. But when you get into true long range shooting, they are like taking a Geo Metro to a drag race. The $350 scopes of today are the $600 scopes of yesterday. And the $1000 scopes of today are like the $1500 scopes from 10 years ago. Glass has improved over the years. So save your pennies and buy the best glass you can. Even if that means waiting for a month or 6.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.