new to long range shooting

pronehunter

Hi all

I am new to the sport. I have a custom built 308 on a mauser 98 that I am comfortable to 600 yards with. I recently bought a savage 11 in 22-250. My intentions are to make deer hunting more interesting and varmint and targets. The problem I have is I can't find any factory ammo or any hand loads that are accurate. My smallest 100 yard group is about 2 inches. I have loaded every conceivable load from 40 to 80make gr with rl15 rl19 imr 4350,4320 and varget. And advice will be appreciated

Sorry to answer you question with a question, but what is your rate of twist???that is were I'd start. a 1 in 14 should work well will 40-55 grain bullets. A 1 in 8 should work well with 69 to 75 grain bullets. these are just example, but the rule of thumb is theslower the rate of twist(1-14) the shorter the bullet and the faster the rate(1-8) the longer the bullet. you might want to try a powder with a faster burn rate

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.