New to AR world

Mounted my red dot on it and headed to the range. What a mistake. I could not even see a 1" circle at 50 yds with it. How do you sight a gun in like that. Time to take the red dot off and mount a scope on it. And yes it was on the lowest setting.

I am hoping to pick up my new ar next week. I have owned numerous guns before but never an ar. Just wondering what you suggest I do when I bring it home. I assume to take it down clean it good and oil? I assume barrel break in is the same as bolt, fire-clean and repeat? Any helpful tips would be appreciated!

WELCOME TO THE DARK SIDE.:)gun)

Your going to love it I am in the same boat as you . What caliber and model did you get ? Tell us more.......:)

It's the Bushmaster xm15 2se in 223. I shot it the other day and love the gun, but I put the red dot on and was not impressed at all. Need to get a scope on and get it shootn again. I don't know much a about ar's but sure like the way this one shot.

Mounted my red dot on it and headed to the range. What a mistake. I could not even see a 1" circle at 50 yds with it. How do you sight a gun in like that. Time to take the red dot off and mount a scope on it. And yes it was on the lowest setting.

"How do you sight a gun in like that"

Easy 25-50 yards center mass and let her run:)

Here's the scoop. Let me preface by saying I have shot many many rounds in my life. I do know how to shoot and I am a reloader. I went to the range today to shoot my Ar. My first group at 100 yards was about 5 inches. I shot about 25 rounds through it total letting cool between every shot ( fortunately it is 35• here) the barrel has previously been broke in with 1 shot-clean for 20 rounds. I then shot about 15 rounds fast for fun. Then decided to group again. It shot about 3/4" at 100 with a warm barrel. Has anybody seen something like this before? It blew my mind. Warm barrel grouped way better than cold barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.