new set up, can i get thoughts?

rocknwell

hello all...i'm getting into long-range shooting/hunting for the first time (hunted for a few years but never shot anything beyond 200 yards). I also am looking for a rifle of my own so i don't have to borrow. I'm thinking i may be leaning toward a Remington 700 CDL in 7mm-08 with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 BDC. since i'm new at the long range stuff and i'm on a more restricted budget, i figured this is probably one of the best ways to spend my money. can i get your opinions on this? i can shoot (Air Force-qualified "expert" and i've made a couple impressive-yet entirely lucky to be truthful-shots on deer), but my experience and knowledge with long-range is limited at best. i'm definitely trying to glean as much knowledge from this site as i can and going to put it to practice when i get back from the desert! thanks for your help!

micah

PS: i live in Rapid City, SD. since BH Ammo is right there and world renowned, i figured i'd try their ammunition since i don't reload (i want to get into though but i don't know where to start). any other ammunition suggestions? Thanks

7-08 is definitely a good round. If you do not reload, honestly, I would lean towards a 308. The 308 has some of the best "factory" type ammunition that a person can lay hands onto. I do not think there is another round out that has half the *GREAT* off the shelf choices. With the right ammo a 308 can either be a ***** cat, or a 500++ yard hunting hammer. As for match type shooting, a well set up 308 will do 1k easy enough.

Nikon makes good scopes for sure. Hope I don't catch hell...but in all honesty I would not go with a BDC. I would go with a Mil Dot scope, and learn to use the mil reticle. Once you figure out a mil reticle, it makes life a lot easier pretty much no matter what you are shooting at.

Nikon 4-16x42 Monarch Riflescope

I would go with this model right here. Having Parallax adjustment for longer range shooting can be fairly important. The 4x setting is decent for when you expect game to be up close and a fast shot is required, yet you still have 16x for longer range, like 1k.

Many years ago, I was a real Remmy fan. The last decade or so, Remmy has been pretty hit or miss on getting a good shooter out of the box. Hate to tell you that, but good shooting factory sticks can be real hit or miss in general.

I have had a few people say that the new Made in South Carolina Winchesters are shooting real well. They are made by FN, who also makes FN branded rifles using the same action. The triggers are pretty decent these days too.

Some folks say the new Savage rifles are real accurate, I have not really played with the Accu-Stock models however. I have heard some people cuss the accu-stock, and others proclaim it to be the 2nd coming. I do like their trigger.

What ever you decide on, if it ends up being a 308 for LR hunting, I would *NOT* get a tube longer than 20" unless you plan on really hammering out past 800 yards on a regular basis. Even then if you get lucky and get a Good Tube, 1k is still doable.

I will say this.... RELOADING WISE .... winchester brass, winchester LR primers, Berger 185gr Hunting VLD, and Alliant 2000MR powder...and you can hammer out pretty close to 700 yards with adequate retained energy and velocity.... brutal ...in 308 :)

Good shooting,
Gary

thank you for the reply. yesterday i decided that i think i'd rather go 7mm rem mag just because rem mag is easier to buy than -08 and it has a slightly better ballistics calculation (at least according to some sources). i have read that Remington has declined in their out of the box accuracy/dependability, but it's hit or miss. i will definitely take your advice on not getting the BDC. i have been looking at Mil/MOA reticles and i like what i see with those and how those would reall help give me a solid foundation on shooting longer range than a BDC would. as for reloading, i have NO IDEA how to do it or where to get started. i want to get in to reloading though. as for going .308 vs 7mm, to be honest, on paper 7mm seems like the better choice ballistically. with that said, i am deployed so i won't be able to get my hands on any rifles for 3 more weeks. so i have no way of knowing if a Rem 700 will even fit me and all those other important factors that go in to purchasing the "right rifle". i will definitely keep my mind open about that though and i thank you for your insight! can you point me in the right direction on learning how to reload?

The 7mm RM is a great cartridge, and the ballistics are WAY better than 7-08 or 308. H1000 powder is one of THE go to powders of choice in the 7mm RM. The Hornady 162gr Amax is an awesome hunting bullet for long range, and the Berger 180s are real nice too.

Lee "Modern Reloading 2nd Edition" Reloading Manual - MidwayUSA

This is one of the best books on reloading I have ever had the pleasure to own. I would start here, and read his chapters on getting started in reloading. Never fear asking for a bit of help here in the forums, this place is great about helping people just getting started out.

Have a good one,
Gary

Thank you Gary for the info! i really appreciate it! I'm definitely going to look at getting that book too. Can't wait to get started!

Hi,i would check out the savage longrange hunter series,all the savage rifles i have shot have been very accurate and there is a great range of calibers to choose from like 6.5 creedmoor,260rem,6.5-284,308win,300wsm,7mmRM,300WM and 338LM.

Last edited:
i have looked at the savage 111 LRH. i like the looks and it sounds like the accutrigger is a nice feature. i like the adjustable cheek piece as well. the price range is also similar to the 700 CDL so that's nice. do most people agree that the newer models of savage have more "out of the box accuracy" than the Rem 700s? i Don't mind going either way, but i want the confidence that what i'm getting out of the box isn't something i need to worry about changing any time soon. i'm too new to long range to be worrying about that.

As I said, I used to be a Remmy fan. In some ways I do still appreciate them. Hey, there are few gunsmiths On This EARTH who do not salivate at the opportunity to get ahold of a "good remmy to tune up". That is a real plus.

That being said, If BIG OLD NAMES are what most interest you, These Days Winchester FN are flat out better made. Hate to say that, I know a few Old Guard Remmy Fans just started seeing RED! I am Pro Shooter, not Pro Corporate Entitity X. If a company really works hard to **** me off, I move elsewhere.

I will be buying a 308 soonish, and There are exactly 4 names on my list. In no particular order:

A) CZ-USA: These are *VERY* well made, and they are nicely accurate OTB. But, they are not an american comany. Not that I won't purchase one because of that, I just prefer to look for American first if i can.

B) Howa 1500 / Weatherby Vanguard: These are investment cast like a Ruger is, but OTB accuracy is reportedly quite nice. Made in Japan.

C) Savage: Savage makes an accurate rifle. The Accu-Wedge, which is part of the Accu-Stock, had teething problems early on. I hear folks "in the know" consistently saying those problems are sorted out now. I have not Personally had any range time with a New Savage. I will say this; Team Savage is kicking *** Taking Names all over the world right now. I hear they use all Savage OEM parts... Don't take my word for that, google it and see for yourself!

D) Winchester-FN: FN bought the rights to use Winchester's name, and their pre-64 design. They are made in South Carolina, so every one sold puts an american to work. Admittedly FN is not an American Corporation. These are very well made these days. In fact, I repeatedly hear folks say the old Pre-64 style action has never been so well made. Technology at it's best, and a Corp who cares about it's reputation.

So, which one will I Buy? I have recently fondled all but the Savage. Right at the moment, I am really liking the fit and feel of the Winchester. Though, I admit, CZ is actually Right There with the Winchester if I am being really honest about it. I do not like the Hogue stock on the Howa, that gummy bear stock just does not feel right to me. That is a personal thing though. It also bothers me a little that the receiver is investment cast like a Ruger is. Yeah, I know it is tough stuff. It still bothers me, again just a personal thing.

Right now, CZ or Winchester are what's really on my mind the heaviest. Though, Savage is still very much in the running. Note, Remmy is not. Unless i get Lucky, as in lottery winner, I KNOW I will have to send the Remmy off for a Tune Up and Re-barrel. That being said, I know at least one person recently who bought a **** high dollar 5r, and it does shoot lights out. I also know half a dozen other guys who bought Remmy in the last few years, and they all had to send the **** things off to the gun smith. I do not like those odds. Thanks, but no thanks, again just a personal thing.

Good luck with whatever you choose,
Peace, out!
Gary

P.S. Another reason I have decided against Howa is that a couple well known smiths have said that getting a Howa barrel Off of the action is a stone bitch. One reports he had to cut a relief groove to get the barrel off. Also, the threads are metric, and for that reason alone most smiths will say no, or they will charge a good bit extra. The part that sucks worst for me, the Howa has a 2 stage trigger, and I LOVE that type of trigger! I really do not think I would actually have to send a new Howa off to a smith, but *IF* i wanted to, I want that option to be fully open to me.

Last edited:
thank you for your thoughts! i will definitely be looking into those other options. i want to have the confidence that i'm getting something good and it's not going to be needing any "fixing" any time soon

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.