New Savage 110 Ultralite with Proof CF Barrels

Gotcha...you didn't say the Magnesium version.
No, I didn't. 3.6 is long enough for any of the ones chambered, you are right. If they chambered either the 300 WSM or the 6.5 PRC with that I will get one. My bet is that they are in the short action and can't load over 2.95 though. If someone knows about this please post.

Put lipstick on a pig and it is still a pig.
My buddy used to say that when I'd leave my gallery grade beretta over unders or gas auto loaders at home and show up with my Rem 870 that I had done a little work to. Then a couple of times he ran into issues with his fancy, aesthetically pleasing tools, and had to borrow that 870 from me. He doesn't say lipstick on a pig anymore.

if it shoots and is reliable and serves its intended purpose, who cares what it looks like? I have many more Rem700 action based rifles than Savage, but out of the box without fail (except for my gen 2 5r) the savages have always been more ready to go than the remingtons. Swapping triggers and stocks on a Remington, which must be done in most cases, could also be called "lipstick on a pig" by many folks on this site.

*edit- I also have some full custom and semi-custom builds off of 700s or clones because I do like a pretty rifle, but if forced to choose, I'd rather have one I can count on no matter what than one that is only good in a beauty contest. Full customs are pricey but they do get me looks and reliability. :cool::cool:

Last edited:
I would like the 6.5 PRC with a mag and barrel that are useable with the 156 gr. bullets. I don't know what the max COAL is and I see that they put a 1:8 instead of a faster twist, so no 156gr.

Don't give up so quickly. 156 EOLs are seemingly highly tolerant of a good jump—folks are reporting even up to a 0.130" jump with accuracy. That puts it within reach of even a SA.

Don't give up so quickly. 156 EOLs are seemingly highly tolerant of a good jump—folks are reporting even up to a 0.130" jump with accuracy. That puts it within reach of even a SA.
I don't know that they are tolerant of 1:8 barrels like this Savage has. Plus, it isn't just about the jump, it is about stuffing the long bullet down in the case.

Just goes to show people will literally complain about anything.

And I'll admit, I am the furthest thing from a Savage fan! I literally make fun of them every chance I get...but they knocked it outta the park with this one and I may just end up eating crow and buying one.

Seriously right? For less than $1200 to be able to get a sub 6lb rifle with a proof CF barrel is amazing...guys are going to pick it apart?

I think it is an incredible value. I think it is going to be my present to myself when I finish my MBA:)

I like it a lot.
probably 7lbs scoped up.
1.5 lb trigger and that stock should have the full length aluminum bedding so not a flimsy typical Tupperware stock.
I'm thinking 280ai and like the 22" barrel.
Short, light and handy for southern creek bottom thickets and able to stretch it out long range as well.

The accustock in these rifles won't have the aluminum bedding (Savage responded to a question on a forum stating that that would have increased the overall weight.)