New rig opinion's

RiverSink

Hi everyone, looking for opinions on a new rig that I have built up in my head before I spend the money. Please just comment on this rig and not alternatives. Goal is a 6-800' whitetail and target rig. Rifle is a new Ruger M77 Hawkeye Allweather w/ 26" tube in 6.5 creedmoor. Add kydex adjustable cheek rest, Spec Tech trigger, Harris S BRM and Sightron 6-24x50 MOA-2. Thank's for any feedback from one's that have had first hand experience with any of the above.

If nobody offers any alternatives or opinions or experiences....Then how will you know what needs to be changed BEFORE you drop a bunch of money on it?

No opinions???? Opinions is what I asked for. On the equipment and caliber for the described purpose above. Not alternative equipment recomendations. Thank's

This line...

Please just comment on this rig and not alternatives.

Is what made everybody click the "BACK" button immediately. Just FYI.

If people don't think your setup is up to the task, and tells you that is the case. Then you ask for their opinion, but you don't want to hear any recommendations. How are they going to give you their opinion of what's better, without giving you a recommendation?

It's impossible with the question you asked. Because an opinion of what's better is something different. And you wanting to know what that something different is, is asking for a recommendation. Therefore this is illogical.

Exactly, not alternative equipment. If you have any first hand experience with a Ruger M77 Hawkeye Allweather, a Sightron SIII or 6.5 creed on whitetail. Then I would like to hear what you think of that equipment. I don't care to hear about a Rem 700 or any other brand rifle, scope or caliber. Did not realize what I was asking for would be hard to comprehend.

Exactly, not alternative equipment. If you have any first hand experience with a Ruger M77 Hawkeye Allweather, a Sightron SIII or 6.5 creed on whitetail. Then I would like to hear what you think of that equipment. I don't care to hear about a Rem 700 or any other brand rifle, scope or caliber. Did not realize what I was asking for would be hard to comprehend.

It's not that hard to comprehend, you're asking a hard task. It's very hard to critique something without comparing it to something else or something better. But I will try, although I'm sure I'm going to fail when it comes to discussing the caliber.

You're not going to like my opinions on the rifle.

You could buy a better rifle for comparable money. The aftermarket accessories for the Rugers is slim-to-none. Customizing them is almost useless because your options are so limited. I have no love the new "hawkeye" models. I have 2 older Ruger 77 MKII's, and while they are great guns, I don't see any chance of me ever using them for custom builds simply because of how few aftermarket parts there are available for them, and I also don't like the Mauser-style actions.

As for the caliber.....

There is a cult-like supporter following for the 6.5 Creedmoor. I think it's a trend, and I think it's going to eventually die down and out of the hunting community and be mainly still circulated amongst the BR shooting crowds. Because the .260 Rem has been here for decades and is still king of the small 6.5's...It can hunt and it can also do BR comps. Also you can very easily use old cheap .308 Win brass for .260 Rem cases, and it would take ALOT more work to turn .308 brass into 6.5 Creed brass. Which is a huge turn-off for me.

As for the scope, I have never used one, but I hear lots of good things about the SIII's.

I agree with Mudd, but at those ranges I'd want something a little bigger than 260 on a 700 action or 700 clone with a jewel. I guess it depends on if you're shooting georgia deer or saskachewan deer.

Sightrons are great scopes, thats my main brand. I think hands down they are the biggest bang for the buck by a large margin.

Think's guy's, that's the kinda stuff I wanted to hear. I do not hand load now and may never so that's why I like the Creedmoor over the 260 is for the factory ammo choices. As for the rifle, I too have owned quite a few 77's and liked them all for what they are but they were all tang safty model's and the Hawkeye is new to me. The only mods to this rifle that I ever intend to do is a trigger, adjustable cheek rest and maybe bed and float. The scope is def a go for me. I think from the ballistics a 140 amax with proper shot placement that it should do the job at hand. Thank's

For someone to say they have had a bad experience with the rig you described, they are usually going to want to give you an alternative that they have had a better experience with. The people with positive reviews will have no problem giving there opinion of the product, but someone with a negative review will click the back button if they cant give an alternative. JMO Maybe im wrong. :rolleyes:

Really, why can't they just tell me there bad experiance with the M77 Hawkeye or the 6.5CM?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.