New Rifle

Joel Russo

After weeks of begging, badgering, heckling, name calling, and threatening e-mails, my Alaska hunting partner Phil, known here as Philny1, finally coerced me into delivering his new project. I offered the big brown truck, but that wasn't good enought for my friend. So I loaded up the gear and his project and headed Northwest for a fun time. The honeymoon was over when we left Chisana, AK no doubt...
I won't steal his thunder, as I'm sure he'll put a post up on his progress.

Phil has a beautiful place in the middle of nowhere, with nice white steel plates strategically placed all over the mountain behind his house.:D

Yep.... loaded up a few rifles to spend the day with my friend splattering copper on those nice white plates.

I just finished a new build and needed to fireform cases for an upcoming match.. Phil was eager to offer his services..:rolleyes:

I decided a month ago to try my hand at the Mile. There is a match in Ohio on April 5 and as usual, it was crunch time to get a competitive rifle built.

Decided on a .338-.408 Imp w/a .365 NK aka Big Baer.

In the interest of saving time in the finishing of my laminated stocks, I cashed in a few favors and had a McMillan A-5 delivered in a week. After the match, I'll make an A-5L and take my time finishing it..
I figured you guys would give me hell on that.

Had a 33" 10 tw, 1.450", 338 Krieger barrel, that I re-contoured and had Baer flute it.
Turned all the metal over to Baer and asked him to work his magic.
Got the barreled action back, bedded it, installed a Jewell, 8 x 32 NXS and worked up a load in no time. 132.0 gr of H50BMG w/300SMK at 3160 fps with single digit ES, shooting 1" at 450 yds. Seems to like it there..

Back to Phil's place and fire forming.
He had two 14" plates at 750 yards, down to one now.
With 12 moa elevation and 2.5 moa of wind correction, it was quite amusing to repeatedly punish those plates.
Phil had a three shot 3" group going until I wrestled my rifle away from him for a few shots. I ended up tearing the plate away from the chain and into the snow it went.

I had a wonderful time with my friend Phil, we even discussed hunting together again in the fall. hmm.. that should be another exciting trip.

Here's a few pictures.

IMG_11082.jpg

IMG_11112.jpg

Phil at the wheel...
IMG_11152.jpg
/

Also a picture of my 284 Baer that is responsible for some copper on that mountain.
300 Wby necked to 284 with a 35* shoulder and .312 NK.
Spitting out 180 Bergers at 3220 fps.
Russo/Seekins stock
8 x 32 NXS
Jewell
Seekins Base
NF rings
Chambered by Baer

IMG_09872.jpg

Last edited:
Good shootin! Fine rifles,great country,good friends. Hard to beat that,tho the best part is the insignia on the laminate stock.

i guess you're gonna settle for 1" at 450? doesn't seem too bad for a starting load. maybe it will start shooting better when you get it broke in and work with the seating depth/tweak the load a bit!

2 questions: how many minutes are in that base?
what are you gonna hunt with that thing?
and how much does it weigh?

1 observation...if i had a gun that shot that well, i wouldn't change the stock. nobody will say anything.

Thanks Guys..

Shorty, I laser engraved my wings, filled it with bedding, sanded it, then shot clear over it. Lost the fine detail, but it still turned out okay.

Winmagman, those colors might work. :)

Wilson, 27 moa, 21 lbs, going to hunt what's out of your range. ;)
Barrel was already broke in, had 125 rounds down it as a 338-378 WBY before re-chamber.
Tweak the load? You're too much.

Joel, it was really a math question for ya. said i had 2 questions and asked 3. wanted to see if your number skills have improved any!

the tweaking the load comments might have had a bit of scarcasm!

when we go hunting, i'll take the shots under 1200. you can have all the rest!

good luck in Ohio. i'd love to tag along some time but i couldn't aford to scratch the itch!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts