New Rifle

hypersonic

Well it has come time I get serious about having a new rifle built to increase my effective range. This rifle will be used for Deer and Caribou in the open. I am not leaning towards a Mag rifle and I have set a limit for now at 600 yards. I can shoot at a range on private land out to 800 yards currently. I am comfortable to 400 and have time to get comfortable out to 600 before the season comes around again. Next year my goal would be to 800 and so on. Right now I am leaning towards a 25-06AI shooting 120 grain bullets as a minimum and probably something heavier from one of the custom bullet Mfg's.

I would like a few thoughts on what the above should be capable of in well constructed rifle with quality optics and so on.

In my opion you would be better servered to forget the 25 caliber and think of the 6.5mm(.264). you will find amuch better choice of high bc bullets in 6.5. a 6.5-06 or 6.5-284 would be a fantastic choice for long range.
Just my opion

[ QUOTE ]

In my opion you would be better servered to forget the 25 caliber and think of the 6.5mm(.264). you will find amuch better choice of high bc bullets in 6.5. a 6.5-06 or 6.5-284 would be a fantastic choice for long range.
Just my opion

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't thought about this route and it is interesting. I do like the idea of being able to fire form standard 25-06 cases to AI and that gives me a bit less work than making 6.5-06 and is somewhat less expensive than 6.5 284 brass( not to mention eaiser to get where I am at) I was not too clear on my first post oops!. I am planning on having another rifle built for past 600 yards down the road once I prove to myself I have reached the next level with my shooting skills. Nothing is etched in stone as of yet I am just leaning this way currently. For some guys here 600 yards is middle ground for me it is a chalenge and I have always liked chalenges.

Nothing wrong with the .25-06 or the AI version. I have the standard .25-06 for deer and speed goats out too 500-600 yards, but my next long range rifle i am leaning towards the .280 AI. Like evryone has said before, everything the 7 Rem Mag can do, but less powder. Just my .02 worth.

Personally I would go with a 6.5-284 or 260. There not the fastest but they would work for 600 easily for deer, sheep, or goats. They wont dislocate your shoulder in a light weight pack around gun when you squeeze the trigger off. For 600 yards max this is what I would look at. Just my opinion but there are much more expierenced people on here than I so They may have some more and different opinions

[ QUOTE ]
Personally I would go with a 6.5-284 or 260. There not the fastest but they would work for 600 easily for deer, sheep, or goats. They wont dislocate your shoulder in a light weight pack around gun when you squeeze the trigger off. For 600 yards max this is what I would look at. Just my opinion but there are much more expierenced people on here than I so They may have some more and different opinions

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I have ruled out the 6.5 284 on the brass thingy ( sorry) I feel the 260 is a little short in the neck department when the good high BC bullets are starting to get long and sexy. A light recoiling rifle is a plus in my mind but not an absolute.

See this is the fun part talking back and forth providing information and ideas I feel like a kid in a candy store.

What you have proposed should make you happy. A 257 Wby would be a good choice. People are saying that Remington is going to bring back the Sendero and it will be available in 264 Win mag. I just might have to go and buy a factory rifle if they do.

I believe you will be alright in your set up. I have used my 25-06 with 115g bullets to take deer and yotes to 600 yards. No problems. It will make a target cartridge to 800 as well. Now since you want the AI, you could shoot the 125g Wildcat at around 3200fps and have it made. I shot the 125g ULD wildcat at 2950fps and it killed a 145" whitetail at 440 yards, and 2 coyotes, which one was 600 yards. In my shooting, out to 600 yards with the 125g ULD, I found the BC to be around .515. I think you will be fine in your choice if you like .257" caliber, go for it.

With your self imposed limit you would do fine with the 25-06AI. I am safely getting 3,250FPS with the 125Wildcat &
RL25 powder in my 25-06AI Sendero.
As you keep extending your range, you will need more rifles
anyway. It does become an obsession, I am afraid. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Just for question to find out if there is something I dont know what do you say with "brass thingy"? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Brass will have to be ordered and the minimum I would have to order would probably be quite a few more than I would like to buy or need on hand.

[ QUOTE ]
I believe you will be alright in your set up. I have used my 25-06 with 115g bullets to take deer and yotes to 600 yards. No problems. It will make a target cartridge to 800 as well. Now since you want the AI, you could shoot the 125g Wildcat at around 3200fps and have it made. I shot the 125g ULD wildcat at 2950fps and it killed a 145" whitetail at 440 yards, and 2 coyotes, which one was 600 yards. In my shooting, out to 600 yards with the 125g ULD, I found the BC to be around .515. I think you will be fine in your choice if you like .257" caliber, go for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent info thank you. I have seen the wildcat bullets praised here on a regular basis and would lean that way as a standard bullet for all my shooting using the more common factory bullets to fall back on or for generic shooting.

[ QUOTE ]
With your self imposed limit you would do fine with the 25-06AI. I am safely getting 3,250FPS with the 125Wildcat &
RL25 powder in my 25-06AI Sendero.
As you keep extending your range, you will need more rifles
anyway. It does become an obsession, I am afraid. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it does become an obsession and that is fine by me. I am thinking of a 1-8 or 1-9 twist versus the standard 1-10.This would allow bullets with a bit more weight if I can find them. To me perfection would be something about 135-140 grain department at about 2900-3000 fps ( I could be dreaming though)

Once I am ready to push past 600 I will be considering something in the .284-.308 range that pushes a really heavy high bc bullet rather fast. That is down the road a ways but is rolling around in the back of my mind.

Thanks for all the excellent info guys

6.5-284 is out unless built on a long action.

6.5-06 or AI version is very good. Competed with the AI verison for three years.

I would look at the standard 6.5-06 if it was for only 600 yds and hunting etc. Shoots the 123-146 gr bullets very well and significantly higher BC than best .25s

Best custom 25 cal is only .500 BC vs .630 for most custom 6.5s. 6.5 will need an 8 twist while most custom 25s are 10 twist.

Now go to the 7mm route and custom bullets up to the 180s and BC jumps to .730-.750 and requires 9 twist.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.