New Rifle Project, and a front rest question

Alucard

Hey guys,

Well, I finally found the money to get my first ever custom rifle built. This is a long range target and varmint rig. I think that it should stomp some little fur bearers right into the ground! You will have to let me know what you guys think of my first ever custom project. Here are the specs:

Builder: Kirby Allen
Caliber: 6-284
Action: Lawton M7500 BR
Barrel: Lilja 30" 1-9" 6 grove twist 1.250" diameter with heavy 50BMG style flutes
Stock: McMillan Tooley MBR 70% black 30% red
Trigger: Rifle Basix set at 6 oz.
Scope rail: Lawton 20 MOA
Rings: Near Manufacting
Scope: Nightforce 8-32x50 NXS
Weight: Should be around the 20lbs mark

This will also have a custom APS muzzel brake made by Kirby. All the metal for the rifle will be teflon coated mat black. I plan on shooting the heavier bullets so that is why I went with the 1-9" twist.

I think it will be devistating varmint rig! Which leads me into the front rest question. Which front rest should I get? I was looking at the Caldwel Rock 1000 yard edition rest, or the Sinclair BR Rest. I am not sure which would be the best in terms of quality and generally all around better for long range work. Are there any other rests that I should be looking at over these two? Thanks for any info!

Your rig sounds sweet and youve got a good man on the job.I was also thinking about the Caldwell 1000 yd rest.I plan on getting my feet wet in some competition this year and after a little research ended up buying a Cowan found in the classifieds on another forum.Id love to have one of the high end coaxials,but just cant justify it at this time.Heres a link to some pics of the Cowan.

http://grosbier.com/cowan.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I will have to look into the Cowan.

As far as pictures, oh I plan on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Once I get the rifle completed of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I bought a Caldwell Rock BR rest (not the 1000 model) a year ago and I think it's one of the best investments I've made. It's not as nice as the full blown Bench Rest rests but it's not $1000 either.

Alcured-I-am-selling-a-used-Sinclair-front-rest-with-windage-and-elevation-adjustments.-I-am-also-selling-the-rear-bag-and-the-carrying-case;-the-front-rest-cost-me-$320.00-brand-new;-the-Bald-Eagle=rear-bag-cost-around-$46.00-brand-new;-and-the-hard-case-cost-$85.00-brand-new-if-you-look-in-the-Sinclair-catelog-you-can-see-what-case-I-am-talking-about-it's-super-nice-it's-yellow.-I-will-sell-everything-for-$250.00-you-pay-shipping-and-handling.

Here-is-my-e-mail-if-you-are-interested;
[email protected]

Wildcat

Hi buy wildcats gear it is a steal other than that i use Bald Eagle rests but you will be up for a lot more money and the Sinclair rest is a great rest.

Cheers Bill
Australia

WHen I shoot off a front mechanical rest, the Caldwell 1K is all I use. Very good rest and has a very wide range of vertical adjustment. For the money impossible to beat in my opinion.

I would recommend getting rid of the bag that comes with it and order in the extra bags designed for the 3" flat bottom receiver that are also sold by Caldwell. I ordered all mine through MidwayUSA. Have four different bags to match pretty much anythin you could imagine as far as a forend profile.

Only thing they will not work for is a forend wider then 3.5".

Great rest for the money and better then alot of rests that cost alot more money.

Lil' Black Sunshine will be a hell of a rifle I assure you!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif My 6-284 is about ready for an upgrade, I like yours so much I may build one just like it as well.

Kirby Allen(50)

Alucard,
That sounds like it is going to be one hell of a nice set up.
However i dont want to be a kill-joy but the 6-284 as a high volume varmint/target round is going to give you an extremely short barrel life.
A 6mm AI would be a bit better if you have already ordered your barrel or even the 6mm Hot (6.5 x 47 necked down)
Having said that IMHO the 6.5-284 would be the best cartridge to suit your needs

Ian.

This one will not be a high volumn shooter. This will be about a 50 shot per day at the most type of rifle, and that will be spread out over the day type of thing.

I went with the 1-9 twist because I only plan on shooting to about 1200 yards, and with a 105-107 grn pill, it will get there no problem. I will also have the abilty to shoot some of the 70 grn and 80 grn Ballistic Tip bullets for varmints out to 500-800 yards or closer. That will make em really pop!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.