New Rifle... Means New Load

KRob

I just picked up a 300 win mag that will be used for hunting this coming fall, deer (large white tail) and elk. Does anyone have any good load suggestions? It is a savage 116ss.
For those of you that are curious i have spent the last several months working on a ranch and then on wild fires and where i lived we had no internet. I am still tinkering with loads for my other rifles but thanks for all of the starting advice guys; sorry i could not get a message back sooner.

I have a Savage 300 Win Mag 112BVSS and so far it really shoots 180 gr Nosler Accubonds with 73.5 gr. of R-22 with GM Fed 215M primers and Norma brass. Best combo I have found to date for hunting load. Will chrony it this weekend.

Thanks sorry it took so long to get back. Dont have easy internet access.
How does it shoot Nosler Partition, that what a friend recomends but not a load just the bullet.

I am kind of curious why you want to shoot the nosler partition. The Accubond opens just as well as the partition, shoots more accurately (due to the boat tail and higher BC., and weight retention is very comparable. If your new rifle shoots the Accubond then I would recommend that as a better option especially if you are looking at long range.

Just my opinon on the matter.

I was just asking, i honestly dont know but that was what a friend recomended. He told me he uses them for all his hunting but he doesnt use a 300 win mag.
I am just looking for ideas and advice anything is apprciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.